No way I would pay that for security camera monitoring.
To be pendantic, AFAIK, it is not even “monitoring” in the traditional security / security camera service definition of escalation to a human security agent, in real-time, when intrusion or other events are detected and police can be dispatched?
You are correct, I probably used the wrong word. I intended to communicate that I’ll not pay $60/month for video recordings and notifications in my lifetime.
Besides, my dog will keep the bad guys away!
Well, this is one way to sell iCloud storage to gullible people!
This is especially bad if the cameras can easily be disabled by cutting the power, as any smart robber would cut the power before being seen by a security camera.
I pay less for professional grade security that has independent power sources and is connected direct to the local police, not Apple Intelligence! That also includes sensors on all my doors and window and more importantly it would stop a break in, unlike most “smart security” systems which criminals will have a field day with.
If it’s anything like our dog:
Your dog: Hey Mr. Intruder, I see you’re stealing all of Mom & Dad’s things. While you’re grabbing things, can you get the treat container down from the shelf?
![]()
The article title’s a bit misleading. It’s just iCloud+, and they include 1, 5 or unlimited cameras depending on the tier.
- 1 camera needs the 50GB tier ($1/month)
- 5 cameras need the 200GB tier ($3/month)
- unlimited cameras need the 2TB tier ($10/month)
$60/month is the 12TB plan, but it doesn’t get you any more cameras than $10/month. Would let you store more footage, though.
I’ve never lived anywhere where I would need/want security cameras. I guess I’ve been lucky.
My brother and I did consider installing a couple in my mother’s house, where she lived alone until she was 90. But she didn’t want them, and pointed out that her next door neighbor was the country sheriff.
And that was the end of that discussion ![]()
What you’re referring to is number of cameras supported by Home Secure Video. What the original post is about is the Apple Intelligence summary feature being enabled on top of those. The 2 TB plan only gets you access to it on one camera. You need the 12 TB plan for 5 cameras to have the Apple Intelligence features that were just added. I doubt this price sticks. I can’t see a lot of folks plunking down $60 a month for summaries across their cameras. It’s cool, but not at that price point.
My security system. (1 of 6)
But honestly, the wife’s chihuahua scares him, so as long as a 74-lb dog scares them enough with his bark, I’ll be fine.
They scare me too! ![]()
![]()
Ah, yes, you’re right. Thanks!
For anyone else confused, it’s here:
Some Apple Intelligence features in the Home app, such as video summaries, are available for a limited number of cameras depending on your iCloud+ plan — up to 1 camera in the 2 TB plan, up to 2 cameras in the 6 TB plan, and up to 5 cameras in the 12 TB plan. Supported camera counts and other iCloud+ plan features may change over time.
Like many secondary products (that is, products other than smartphone, computer, tablet), the appeal of Apple-branded, or Apple eco-system products depends upon both the value and perceived value of being integrated into the Apple system.
In the case of security cameras, the feature-set of Apple offering has always been very close to bare-minimum or lcd (least common denominator) of competitive features.
Yes, by design, Apple security cameras have the Apple-centric high-bar of security and privacy, but I wish that was simply a checklist added feature and not the “tent pole” raison d’etre to buy Apple eco-system security camera solutions.
Two quick points:
First, There are a good number of third-party camera solutions, non-Apple, doing creative and even amazing things with camera features, storage/clip features, and AI capabilities.
Second, (and yes, a bit of a “cheap shot”), if security and privacy is crucial, the simple decision to not have any security cameras inside a home, and to only focus (yeah, pun) on video coverage of exits/entrances and external public areas, for many people, is a pragmatic balance of security versus features.
One more thing, (yeah, I went there), the notorious unreliability of Apple HomeKit/Apple Home means for many serious home owners and security professionals, Apple’s eco-system is not considered trustworthy and reliable for professional/industrial strength security systems.
There is a strong argument that mission-critical systems like physical security should be in a self-contained, standalone eco-system with limited, well-defined gateways or links into other systems - from any company, not just Apple.
That’s one reason professional systems often include alternative power options and fallback or simultanous cellular communications options.
Hopefully, with the upcoming release of Apple hardware for HomeKit (rumored iPad smashed onto a Homepod, with or without robotics) will also usher in a monumental increase in HomeKit functionality and reliability, alongside new hardware smart home “toys”.
P.S. Apologies for my Ted Talk, at least this is really me and not written by AI ![]()





