iTunes gift card as secondary payment method

I was given a gift card for the iTunes store for something specific (certain movie rentals over time). However, the credit is just getting eaten by my normal subscriptions etc. I cant change the payment method to be credit card first and gift card credit second. Am I missing something?
I know it all costs the same at the end of the day, and I could just keep a note for how much of the credit has been used on what it was given for, but I’d love a more elegant method!

1 Like

Every time I launch the App Store or ITunes or Books app I see my credit displayed.

Also consider that by not using your credit you are comparatively losing money by giving Apple the interest rate float on your money (as opposed to charging by credit card and leaving your money in your own bank account until payment).

I get an email with the subject “ Your receipt from Apple.” for all my subscriptions and purchases. That’s how I’m keeping track of how I spend the credit.

Don’t think this is possible (emphasis mine):

• Change the order of your payment methods—Hover your pointer over a payment method, then use the move order icon. Apple will attempt to charge payment methods in order from top to bottom. You can’t change the order in which Apple ID balance is charged.

Source: Add a payment method to your Apple ID - Apple Support

Yeah, ok. Its one of those things I assumed was possible but then was surprised when I couldn’t find a solution. I’ll just keep track in another way. Appreciate the replies.