Joanna Stern report on iPhone’s passcode vulnerabilities after a theft

I’m on the beta - the new security option is offered as soon as you upgrade and defaults to on

Curious to see how this works with Lockdown mode enabled. Although I don’t have any real requirement for Lockdown mode, I turned it on to check it out when it was first released and it had zero impact on the way I use my iPhone so I just left it enabled.

I also wonder if Apple will bring this to the iPad too.

I have the same question as Gruber, “How are these locations determined?”. The smallest place I ever worked had a radius of around 50 meters. The largest had a campus the size of a small/medium university.

That’s another interesting point. I realize that the original story was mostly talking about people shoulder surfing at bars, but it would be just as easy to shoulder surf in a student lounge, then nab the phone at a later time.

I think people read “home” and “work” in a very, very narrow sense.

But using geo targeting with Shortcuts, my buildings laundry room – which is actually three buildings away and across a road – is actually in the same small radius as my apartment.

I found this out when I tried to use a geo targeted shortcut to fire up the proprietary app for the laundry room when I entered. It fired every time I walked over to the door of my apartment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It has occurred to me that no one needs to steal my phone. What are the odds that co-workers, etc. have glimpsed my passcode?

If they have then they can read anything, my passwords etc, stored in Keychain any time I leave my iPhone in my office unattended. Sad to say the same is true of people I invite into my home.

When I am anywhere other than home, my phone lives in my pocket or is in sight. Granted, I am self-employed, but even when I had a real job and a cell phone my phone lived in my pocket.

I absolutely realize that is not the norm though.

1 Like

After the Stern article I removed everything from Keychain and deleted my bank apps.

This! It has been true for me ever since I owned a small-enough Nokia ‘candy bar’ phone.

My phone will sit on my desk — at home or in the office — only when I am sitting at that desk. The moment I stand up, the phone goes in my pocket. I also have my wallet and keys in my pocket at all times I am out of my house.

There are few things that annoy me more in the office than someone walking away from their desk and their obnoxiously loud cell phone starts ringing or, worse, an alarm goes off (because that doesn’t stop). I’ve discovered most people in the office dislike this intensely.

2 Likes
1 Like