Jony Ive on What He Misses Most About Steve Jobs

If you are a subscriber to the Wall Street Journal, I highly recommend this article, “Jony Ive on What He Misses Most About Steve Jobs.”

6 Likes

It was a real tear-jerker.

1 Like

I’m not a WSJ subscriber but I don’t think I need Jony. I know what I miss about Steve. I miss a guy who was passionate about good products. Not passionate about advertising identity politics in his storefronts while ignoring human rights horrors in his factories.

1 Like

Man, I can’t believe it was nearly a decade ago that Steve Jobs died… :cry:

2 Likes

Frustrating that this remembrance is paywalled. Was Jony paid for it? If so, that seems weird. If not, why not self-publish? Alas.

It’s the Wall Street Journal. Not some random blog.

1 Like

There’s a nice video and letter on the Apple homepage today, too.

6 Likes

I don’t think debating about modern publishing platforms is material, here. My point is, if I wrote a memorial about someone, or if someone wrote one about me, I’d want it to reach as many folks as possible. I wouldn’t want it to be a subscription-bait product. It degrades the significance of the work and tarnishes the meaning of the piece, if only a little.

I’m not a WSJ subscriber. I couldn’t name anyone I know who is. And I am not that interested in paying $10/month to WSJ’s journalists and editors for a heartfelt letter penned by someone who isn’t involved with the WSJ. So I will not be able to read this piece by Ive, which is too bad, because everyone’s saying such nice things about it. I suppose I will experience it vicariously.

And yet here we are with a commercialized memorial.

(I really just wanted to whine. This would be much easier if everyone just agreed with me. :smiling_face_with_tear:)

5 Likes

And I’m surprised it’s not available thru Apple News+! Or at least I can’t find it.

I wonder what it says about Apple News—or about me, perhaps—that I didn’t check there. Why didn’t anyone say so!?

Clearly, I am the MPU community’s collective responsibility. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Now to add it to a reading list and get to it in a couple of years.

3 Likes

No, you are not. Drop it, please.

Maybe you should start your own newspaper?

Then you’ll appreciate that fact that, when I clicked that link, it was the first time News had opened. On a computer that’s been on its current macOS install since…well…Big Sur was released? :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tipper-bonylad I imagine you’re referring to my “collective responsibility” joke. It was a joke, as in “I should’ve found this on my own.” Apologies.

@Clarke_Ching As I said above, I do not think debating about modern media platforms is relevant to this discussion. The issue is that this is a paywalled memorial… it’s like being charged $10/month to hear a eulogy or visit a tombstone. Doesn’t matter if it shows up on a blog or a newspaper or a magazine; either way, it’s a little wrong.

I do not want to (continue to) derail the thread. If folks want to fight me about this issue for whatever reason, feel free to start a new thread. Otherwise I encourage you to comment directly on Jony Ive’s reflections on Steve Jobs (if you can read it :wink:).

1 Like

Gee and I thought I’d started a nice thread. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m going to have to agree with you. It’s really frustrating.

Forgive me if this isn’t kosher, but here’s an archive link for the article for those unable to read WSJ. https://archive.is/itnJD

I thought it was a nice piece.

By the way, LoveFrom has no website. I think that’s pretty cool, even though I’m in that business.

4 Likes

I certainly agree with you, Ryan. Not exactly classy. But, on the other hand, it is beautiful.

1 Like

I noticed that too. This resulting site—in which a designer tries to co-opt the LoveFrom brand purely to try to get the attention of Jony Ive and Mark Newson—is hilarious:

I wonder how people contact Jony and Mark to hire them. Networks, I guess.

1 Like