Keep It (From reinvented software)

Care to share the iOS workflow? Thanks

Edit to add — I deleted my previous post… Keep It does what I want if I push or don’t push the correct button.

https://workflow.is/workflows/83daac09b6224760ae9f0ccd092fb22c

1 Like

Will wait for 12 and try it then. Thanks

Ill give it a try. Thank you!

Just as a counterpoint… or at least a potential warning.

I’ve only tried Keep It for a very short while… I have fewer than 10 items in my Keep It database on iCloud.

I decided to leave the Mojave beta (n.b. Mojave is going to be a giant PITA for automation purposes, so I’d recommend avoiding it for awhile if possible). Towards that end I did a clean install of Mac OS X 10.13.6.

When I reinstalled Keep It, one of the items in iCloud wouldn’t re-download. It was just stuck with a “Downloading…” image where the content should be, and the activity viewer showed there was no activity.

I tried opening the iOS app, and the item was inaccessible there, too.

In fact, I couldn’t even delete the “phantom” item. It just wouldn’t budge.

Now, fortunately for me, the item that was lost wasn’t all that important, but I was struck by the fact that if it was important, there was basically no way for me to recover it from iCloud.

So if something is really important, I’m still going to be saving a PDF and/or webarchive to Dropbox.

2 Likes

Curious if you guys are still using Keep It… I left for a while as I was having sync problems. Not sure if it was due to the app or apple. It seems to be fixed now.

I’m still using it. I tried to go back to Evernote for a bit and considered DEVONthink now that v3 is out but Keep It still works best for my use case.

I was having major sync issues with Keep It. I might need to try it again versus upgrading to DT3.

Still using and increasing the use, however not at the same level as Evernote (>9000 notes). Finding Keep It very easy to use and love having everything accessible through the standard file system if necesssary. The Markdown part is a big thing for me with “integration” to Ulysses and Drafts. Also using the all media notes quite a lot.

Had sync problems like the others but these have disappeared with the latest upgrades.

1 Like

I still wish there was an easy way to get an email (including attachments) into the app. Like you can with evernote.

I’ve been using EagleFiler (Mac-only) for archiving emails, and right now it’s my KeepIt/DevonThink alternative. But the other main Mac/iOS KeepIt alternative, Notebooks, also lets you save emails. It also lets you sync to WebDAV servers and you can get right into some services like FastMail directly from the app.

If you’re using Mail on macOS, you can drag’n’drop into Keep It. If you’re using MailMate, you can Right-click > “Show In Finder”, then drag the EML into Keep It.

I use this all the time and it works wonderfully. :blush:

I wish there was a way on iOS.

1 Like

Yea, I’ve given up managing email on iOS. I flag stuff I want to take action on later and just push it to task manager, Keep It, etc… when I get to my laptop. :man_shrugging:t2:

Ok… sadly, at least for me, Keep It seems to still have problems syncing as I try to use it more. The app seems to just hang.

Going to try DT again.

A few months ago the developer of Notebooks posted on this forum and said, “We started implementing and experimenting with iCloud sync a couple of years ago, but the user experience is not at all what we want. When syncing huge hierarchies of documents, you have no idea about the progress, the process may even stall and maybe continue, or not. Sometimes iCloud thinks that a book/folder has disappeared, so that book disappears from Notebooks as well, just to reappear a few moments or minutes later (the same can happen in Apple’s Calendar, by the way, and even when syncing folders between two Macs via iCloud). This is not the type of sync we want in Notebooks.”

Sadly, this is not the first time I’ve heard this about iCloud sync, and it explains why some apps choose to sync with Dropbox over iCloud. It’s too bad that Keep It does not offer altrernative cloud-sync options.

1 Like

Deleted and reinstalled and it fixed the issue. For now. Might check out notebooks. I have the app but haven’t used it extensively

I tried Keep It again this past week based on the comments in this discussion.

Syncing was still a complete nightmare.

I’m sticking with DT3.

What are you using to sync? Dropbox or iCloud?

iCloud. I don’t believe it is possible to sync with Dropbox.