Keep It v. DevonThink

For what it’s worth, I’m retired (and was when I decided to buy a licence for the Pro edition of DEVONThink) so the Pro licence was a significant expense for me. Nevertheless, I have never regretted it and have used more of the Pro features as I’ve learned what I can do with the software.

The best thing is to make use of the trial so that you get some idea of how you might use the software. As others have indicated, the trial is fully featured and the terms of the trial are very fair.

Stephen

2 Likes

I think you mean investment. :wink:
Haha! Couldn’t resist.
And thanks for the encouragement!

1 Like

What are your favorite DevonThink features?

@DEVONtech_Jim sorry, of course it was an investment! :wink:

1. The recently considerably enhanced markdown support (which I use extensively when importing Day One journal entries and when creating notes linked to pdf files in DT).
  2. Smart rules—which, for me, do things like automate filing of bank statements, invoices, receipts, etc., as a minimum.
  3. Automatic OCR of pdf files (which I never think about until using the search facility).
  4. The brilliant search facilities (the driving force behind my decision to import Day One entries in the first place).
  5. The fact that everything lives in DT untouched and in its original format—so that all I have to do if I want the original file is to export it. There is no “propriertary trap”.
  6. “See also and classify”—which often automates filing for me.
  7. The supreme scriptability of the app—which as an AppleScript novice I am only now starting to appreciate.
  8. The fantastic support on the DT forum and the almost fanatical updating of the amazing handbook every time a new minor or major version is released.
  9. Finally, as I’ve said before, the fact that it’s easy to start using DT and then to expand your use of it as you constantly learn more and adapt to its sophistication.

Sorry: it’s rather a lengthy and random list but those are the first things that came to my mind.

Stephen

8 Likes

Thanks, Stephen. I used Devonthink extensively for a couple of years, I haven’t use it much at all for the last couple of months, except for filing articles from the web — which is important to me. I wanted to see if I am missing something.

Okay, an investment. What kind of return on investment can I expect from the Pro features that justifies that extra $100 investment? What is the use case for the standard version v. the Pro? Anyone in the group happy with the Standard version?

I think refiewing @Stephen_C’s comments would be a good place to start.

Also, if you’re running DEVONthink in a business, the Pro (fessional) edition would be your best bet. I’d say that’s your use case. :wink:

Also, go over to our forums and you’ll see discussion from plenty of lawyers who use DEVONthink Pro (or Server) in their practices.

For me personally I would add three items to that great list:

• Encryption of data stored on sync server
  • Their sync capabilities are beyond amazing. No internet, fine. Sync over bonjour. (Pre-Covid I did tons of traveling and didn’t have regular access to the internet.) want redundant syncing… check. Want to only sync certain database on each device… check.
  • PDF annotation options. Export, list in info pane. (Recent discovery for me)

Also regarding the files. While it looks like they are in a database, they are stored like any other file on your computer. While you only want to edit/launch from inside DT, if it was an emergency you can grab the files directly from the file system.

4 Likes

I looked at KeepIt but DEVONThink won my heart. It is an awesome app and the devs are very responsive when you have a question or concern. I have 3 pro seats (iMac, Macbook, MiniServer) and DTTG3 and I am just a dude, not a business. I just like having my document management wherever I am and DT is impressive. As @DEVONtech_Jim said, go hang out in the forums for a while and read up. You will like what you read.

3 Likes

When I first purchased DEVONthink about a decade ago, only the Pro version allowed multiple databases, which is what I need. I don’t know if that’s still the case. The other Pro features I could not live without are scanner integration, email archiving, custom metadata, and the concordance.

2 Likes

Thanks for the long-standing support!

And while the Personal edition of the 2.x line only supported having one database, all editions if the 3.x line: Standard, Pro, and Server, support having multiple databases.

Just to wrap this up, I have decided to try Keep It first. For $50 I can buy the Mac version and for $10 I can subscribe to the iOS version for a year. I figure if after 12 months I realize I really need DevonThink, all I’ve lost is $60 (as opposed to $200 if I find out that DT is more than I need).

Does anyone know what the license restrictions are on the Mac version? Can I have it on more than one machine (my Mac Mini and my MacBook Pro)?

I suspect you can. I use “Feeder”, the other Mac app by the same developer, and he has no artificial limits in place on that Mac app. The website also says the Mac App Store and direct versions are functionally identical, and Mac App Store apps have effectively no limits on installs.

If you want to make doubly-sure, you can reach the developer by email here. I have communicated with him about Feeder a number of times and found him very helpful and responsive.

1 Like

Keep It has a lovely UI which certainly helps you to want to use it. Keep It organizes very well. I have never had any sort of sync problem.

I tried Devon Think a while ago and just found it to be rather aggravating and unattractive so much so I never even considered trying it out again.

Keep It is totally intuitive. And you can’t beat the price. I can’t abide by subscriptions on principle. But $10 per year is hardly the case of getting ripped off.

Completely agree. I WANT to love DevonThink because… well, I’m a geek… but it’s like staring at the matrix when I use it. Keep It however, has a easy-on-the-eye interface, and makes it easy for me to find what I need. And has been rock stable for me - including the mobile app, which I can’t say the same from with DT.

2 Likes

New development. My wife wants a better way to keep track of all her recipes than bookmarks in Safari. I thought Keep It might be the solution, but I can’t see where it allows for multiple databases, so she can have hers, and I can have mine. I haven’t been able to figure it out in the program. Does anyone know if Keep It allows for multiple databases?

Do you share a single computer? With perhaps only one Apple ID?

this may be off topic. Have you taken a look at Notebooks. Despite a very boring name, it does support multiple databases, using native file/folder structure , can even convert notes into ebooks or pdf files

1 Like

If the only thing she plans to put in Keep It is recipes, I recommend Paprika. It has a built-in browser that will download a recipe from almost any website and populate a uniform digital recipe card with the data. It even captures whatever image accompanies the recipe. My husband adores it.

1 Like

@LawyerSteve I was going to recommend the same thing. I use Paprika all the time. It is a great app.