Keep It v. DevonThink

Mela is another option, I jumped from Paprika to Mela but forgot why I did that. However, I never look back

No, she has her own MacBook and iPad. Has her own Apple ID.

Iā€™m wondering why multiple databases in Keep It would be a requirement if you each have your own devices and ID. Data you each store on your own devices would be local to you. Folders and what they call bundles can be organized hierarchically. Data stored in iCloud would be tied to your own Apple IDs. Although their website also talks of an ability to share top-level folders and items with other users. So you could have the best of both worlds apparently. Reinvented Software - Keep It for Mac.

Keep It can share top-level folders and individual items with other Keep It users via iCloud. Participants will see all changes automatically.

Interesting point. She could install the program and use her iCloud account for storage. However, my database is being stored deep within my user account on my Mac. How do I switch it to iCloud? I like being able to see the files outside the Keep It app, like I can in Obsidian and, as I understand it, you can in DevonThink.

Same here. I like Mela much better than I ever liked Paprika (but canā€™t remember why either).

The Keep It app has menu commands like the following to specify where your data is stored.

Keep It > Library > Use iCloud
Keep It > Library > Stop Using iCloud
Keep It > Library > Enable Finder Integration
Keep It > Library > Disable Finder Integration

You can find out much more at this link Reinvented Software - Support - Keep It for Mac.

1 Like

ā€œTake iCloud Onlineā€ is grayed out, and only ā€œStop Using iCloudā€ is available. There is no Keep It folder on my iCloud Drive, either. Not sure whatā€™s happening here.

ā€œStop using iCloudā€ is supposed to mean you are already using iCloud according to the support link I referenced.

I am not a user of Keep It. I trialed it for a while but decided to stay with my trusty EagleFiler app.

I tried to put my DT database in KeepIt once and KeepIt rolled over and died.

1 Like

I use DEVONthink 3 and it is the center of my workflow and all my data is in there. The point I will make is simple, it is not really expensive, it is cheap really for what it does and is.
In terms of billable hours you can get it for about 20 mins work really, I know a lot of us are not on that kind of hourly rate and I donā€™t mean to rub it in to interns, students and the underpaid. However whichever way one cuts it it is cheap for what it does. Along I will say with all the really good Mac apps I know of. Worth supporting too.

3 Likes

Does that work for accessing documents on iOS or iPadOS?

Hi Iā€™m the developer of Keep It.

As your wife has her own Apple ID, sheā€™ll automatically get her own library.

All of Keep Itā€™s in-app purchases and subscriptions can be shared with Family Sharing, so she wonā€™t have to pay any extra if you have that set up, and sheā€™s using macOS 11 or later.

If you want to share things between your two libraries, Keep It can either share top-level folders, or individual items (files): Ctrl-click or right-click the folder or item and choose Add People from the menu shown.

Keep It works with iCloud directly (like Appleā€™s Notes app, for example) and doesnā€™t use iCloud Drive, so you wonā€™t see its files there, but you can see its files in the Finderā€™s sidebar and all Open and Save panels if you enable Finder Integration (requires Keep It 2.0 and later) by choosing Keep It > Library > Enable Finder Integration from the menu. Thatā€™s enabled by default for new users, and v1.x users get offered to enable it when they first use Keep It 2.

I hope that answers all the questions, but if you need support, you can always get in touch by choosing Help > Keep It Support from the menu. Thanks.

8 Likes

I think it is great when a developer responds personally and in such a helpful manner, and I havenā€™t even tried Keep It yet. I just appreciate seeing such responsiveness. :+1:t2:

1 Like

No, EagleFiler is Mac-only.

Iā€™ve noticed that all the apps that attempt to store large numbers of all kinds of documents have users complaining about how bad the syncing of files is between Mac and iOS devices.

In my opinion, it is simply a hard problem. The best solution we have at the moment is to store everything centrally and access it via the web. But many of us, including me, do not care for a centralized storage approach.

Maybe itā€™s time to give KeepIt another go.

I have a copy of DEVONthink Pro and I am thinking about either selling my copy or giving it away. If I need to find files, I can find them in the finder and what I need on my phone is in Keep It 2 (the direct version) and the iOS version is inexpensive enough for a subscription.

The reason why I am doing this is I just donā€™t need all the features of DEVONthink and Iā€™d like to bless somebody else. When I was using my Franklin planner, I needed to scan a lot every month and Iā€™m finding now I donā€™t.

The other thing I learned is Keep It does not equal Evernote, in terms of the volume of data you can store in it. When I was using version 1X the iCloud sync didnā€™t work that well when I had massive amounts of data in. Now I have version 2. It looks like the iCloud sync is reliable, but Iā€™m not going to risk dumping everything into it. I can find what I need on my phone in the Files app.

ā€¦ and Keep It uses a rich text editor by default, even though it uses its own file format internally. DT is an organizer by default; if you want to use the editor within, Markdown is the best format to use. Markdown converts to PDF the best, too.

However, I donā€™t like to be forced to use Markdown. I want a choice of rich text that isnā€™t the second or third choice. So many modern apps do this. If I was a programmer, Iā€™d be used to looking at code all day and Markdown would be a natural choice. Iā€™m not a programmer, and I donā€™t like to be reminded that I never had the skills to be a programmer.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input!! I so appreciate when a developer takes such an active role in helping users. That answers my questions!

1 Like

For a living tech fossil like me, writing in Markdown is like writing in WordStar before wysiwyg and doesnā€™t seem particularly alien. :wink:

I like Markdown as a tool for organizing the content of a short-to-medium length document, which is more important to me while Iā€™m writing than formatting.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently playing with using Obsidian to write and organize a long form (novel length) document and finding it ok. Canvas looks like it will be even more helpful in that once more robust linking of notes within the Canvas happens.

1 Like