Keeping MacBook Pro Healthy

Like a lot of people, I am now mainly working from home. I prefer to do my work using my MacBook Pro (using a larger monitor) then a Windows laptop I have. I wonder if there is anything I should be doing to keep my MBP healthy and efficient. I recall hearing awhile back that it is best not to keep the laptop plugged in all the time. I do use Carbon Copy Cloner, Time Machine and Backblaze for backups. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re good to go on backups.

You really needn’t worry about your laptop battery. If you’re going to put it in storage, (for months) charge it to 50%. That’s really all you need to know. Batteries are fantastic nowadays (the people that invented the technology won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry), and the charging systems are really smart.

I’ve had my laptop plugged in 99% of the time for the last 5 years and it’s fine.

6 Likes

I run a complete process with CleanMyMac X every six months. Keeps things speedy and eliminates a lot of junk files one gathers over time.

5 Likes

I don’t keep mine plugged in all the time. But as far as I know, like @JohnAtl and others say it doesn’t seem to matter much. Certainly over the short to mid term. I don’t find any inconvenience from unplugging it though and I move around my house a lot while I use it. Otherwise I am careful not to load things that I am not sure about and that kind of thing. I have far fewer apps than I used to have and impressionistically I think it runs better. I use CleanMyMac too now and again. I restart sometimes too.

1 Like

Good to know @JohnAtl!
-Jane

Thanks! I also have CleanMyMac.

2 Likes

For battery health I use fruitjuice
It will periodically suggest a maintenance cycle to keep the battery fit.

https://fruitjuiceapp.com/

I’m of the “keep the electrons flowing” club, so like to periodically exercise my laptop batteries.

I think these kinds of apps are not needed anymore with current battery technology and may actually be counterproductive since they use charge cycles for nothing.

1 Like

Ah, there’s the catch, my batteries are not “state of the art” yet :slight_smile:
Both my macbooks are pre-2015

2 Likes

For battery health. You want to keep it plugged in most of the time as it will save you charge cycle. But remember to discharge it (to around 10-20%) at least once a week to get that battery in working shape. But whatever you do, remember that battery will degrade overtime.

You can check your battery cycle stats by going to Apple Menu → System Information → Power (it will be under hardware menu). Remember to hold the Option key (⌥) when you click on the Apple Menu to get the system information option. Here’s an article on the same on Apple support:

Your backup game seems to be on point so no suggestions there. When it comes to cleaning your Mac, I agree that CleanMyMac X is the safest choice. But if you are not ready to pay $89, you can do it manually using free software. Just remember, it’s going to take some effort. With CMM X, you will only need to click twice.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning the manual methods, I have written a detailed article on the same. You can check it out if you want.

Apart from that, I don’t think you need to take any major steps. macOS is far better than Windows in taking care of itself.

Hope this helped!

3 Likes

You can directly access to system Information via the default app.

1 Like

This is ill advised, as is the use of fruit juice. Please see the Apple article linked above.

5 Likes

I have used this method and my 2016 MacBook Pro, and it still gets a good battery life. But I take your point. I guess I wanted to convey that although you can keep the Mac plugged in all the time, you want to make that battery work at-least once a week.

I’m in the same situation; love using my MBP instead of my Windows machine… Office 365 with OneDrive and SharePoint synced has worked really well for me.

Here’s my monthly routine:
âť‘ Run Malwarebytes
❑ Use Disk Utility’s Repair Disk feature to confirm everything is working as it should
âť‘ Test backups (sign into the Backblaze site and restore a few files)
âť‘ Clear browser caches
(Safari/Develop/Empty Caches)
(Brave/Settings/Additional Settings/Clear Browsing Data/Cached Images & Files + Download History)
❑ Run CleanMyMac X - but do NOT clear USER caches (things get messed up when I’ve done that…)

Hope this helps

1 Like

I have an older macbook that don’t get used too much and after having one battery go bad after neglect, I am definitely in the fruit juice camp. I replaced the battery and have gotten much better longevity from the new one after following the advice of the app. I don’t do more than a few cycles a mont, so my use case is a bitt different I guess.

Really you are saying it is better and you get longer life if you keep it plugged in as much as you can then and discharge it now and again?

It has worked well for me after almost 3 and half years of everyday use of 10-12 hours. May be I am wrong. I would love to seek the experience of someone who doesn’t keep their Mac plugged in like I do.

1 Like

The battery on my MacBook Pro 15 inch mid 2014 lasted 4 years and 4 months: I hardly ever used it plugged in and used to let it run right down then charge it over night usually to full. I think I have it right as I looked at the date of the receipt and the date of the battery repair, my memory told me it wasn’t as long oddly. I still use the 2014 15 inch though I now have a 16 inch 2019 new macbook too. It is going strong. I know battery life will have other variables and I don’t think I used mine as much as you did. Seems to me on our experiences though to be much of a muchness. Is keeping it plugged in a deliberate policy on your part or is it just so you don’t run out in the middle of a job so to speak?

I keep it plugged in deliberately. But I am not too strict about it. If I am going to work on my sofa, I am not carrying the charger with me. But as long as I am on my desk, It’s plugged in. And after 3 and half years, the battery is still in good condition.

1 Like

Yeah good thinking. I am in the same place I think really. I must say the fact that I haven’t given the batteries much thought really makes the point you are.