Keyboard Maestro Palette Behavior

Hi!

I’m working my way through the Keyboard Maestro Field Guide and having an issue with a palette I just made. I’ve used conflict palettes in the past and they’ve always let me push the first letter of the macro name after activating the palette to let me run the macro. For some reason, this new palette I’ve made doesn’t let me push the first letter of the macro to run it. Any ideas why?

I’m attaching all the relevant information I can think of, let me know if there’s any more information you need from me!

This is the action I’ve created in the Global Macro Group to invoke the palette.

This is that group, currently with two macros in it. Desktop Work Station rearranges my windows to my liking and Back to Work hides Twitter and Messages.

10%20AM

And here’s what happens when I trigger the palette: There’s no highlighted letter to push to run the macros. Pressing B does not run Back to Work and pressing D does not run Desktop Work Station.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I’ve run into similar issues trying to use palettes like this. After a lot of troubleshooting, I decided it was easier to use conflict menus in app-specific folders (so I could use the same trigger in different apps and get a unique menu in each app). In other cases, I give each macro a one-letter hotkey trigger that can then be used in the menu as you describe. Sometimes I have to duplicate a macro group just for this purpose. It’s not as clean, but I found triggering a palette the way you are doing it just doesn’t work like a conflict palette as far as highlighting the letter(s) of the macro.

I’ve been considering something similar to that! I’ve been intending ⌘+Caps Lock to be a global key to open a series of window management macros, but maybe your route makes more sense.

I set up a folder that is available to one app, set to “Shows a palette for one action when” the hotkey: ⌃⌥⌘↩ is pressed.

I give a hotkey trigger to each macro in that group

I do this for several apps, but always use the ⌃⌥⌘↩ trigger for each folder so the same command pulls up the custom folder for whatever app I am working in, each with the macros/hotkeys I assign in the corresponding folder.

Hope that helps!