Keyboard Maestro question - arrange two apps in split screen

MacSparky did tit again - I bought Keyboard Maestro.

Now I would like to

1. launch Mail and OmniFocus (also MacSarky’s fault…) and

2. want to arrange them on my second screen (main screen is my laptop screen) so that

3. they are in the split screen view (the one where I have effectively full screen with two apps) and OmniFocus left and Mail on the right.

I found out how to launch, but how can I put them into the split screen view? This idea for a macro was one of there reasons why I bought Keyboard Maestro…

Any suggestions?

1 Like

Using Move and Resize Front Window.

Left Side

SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Left)
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Top)
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Width)*50%
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Height)

Right Side

SCREENVISIBLE(Second,MidX)
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Top)
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Width)*50%
SCREENVISIBLE(Second,Height)

Thanks - but wouldn’t that just put the windows there and resize them? I would like to have that SViepw as described here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204948.

Ah, true split screens with full. I am not sure you can do that with the native move and resize. It might need AppleScript.

This is a great question and one that I have been struggling to find an answer to. I also own BetterTouchTool which can activate the split screen mode with a keyboard shortcut so I am working on using KM to open and arrange windows and then simulate the keystroke that will activate BetterTouchTools split screen keyboard shortcut. I am not sure if this will work but, I will report back if it does. In the meantime, I hope someone posts a better solution here.

1 Like

hi guys. did this ever get resolved?

I’ve been trying to get this to work with absolutely no luck. I got as far as getting the left side application working - but then how do I click on the right side app?

very frustrating. Hoping someone has figured this out?? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this up again, @AdamEcclesBooks! I have been swamped and not able to get back to solving it. In theory, you should be able to use Keyboard Maestro to position the mouse to the other side of the screen and click the app (assuming it is the only app available on that screen for split view) after activating the first app in split view. That said, I have not had a chance to try this in practice so I may be thinking incorrectly here. If I have some time, I will attempt this again but, the semester starts again for me on Monday which will make things chaotic for the next couple weeks.

Hi
I’ve tried to move the mouse and click on the other side - but there’s two issues.

1. the app might be in a different location.
  2. even if it isn’t - for some reason, only a ‘real’ click seems to activate the other half of the split screen. It’s strange and frustrating. But in the end, I gave up!

It may work better on Catalina, but I’m not moving to that for various reasons.

ah well! If anyone does ever get it to work, I’d love to hear about it! :slight_smile: