Keyboard Maestro with no experience with automation, scripts?

Really there is, I know all that, that is exactly how the programers on the Keyboard Maestro site went with me. I am a bad example maybe as I actually understand mathematical logic and have actually studied variables there. They aren’t actually quite the same as they are for programmers and that might be part of my problem.

they are not as as obvious as they seem anyway. “The studied ambiguity of the variable” as Willard Quine said. However I don’t think that is where the problem lies. If I knew where the problem was, well I would explain it on the Keyboard Maestro forum and here. What you say, and you are right by the way, doesn’t seem to help. Other people here now say the same thing.

We tried hard but we couldn’t get it right and dropped it in fact. There was the further complication of other terminolgy, ‘token’ for example. Variables in computing have to be set up really, ‘defined’ as some programmers say. It is true in math too of course really. I think the issue is with the mechanisms for setting them up somehow. Which is not at all obvious how to do. You can’t just type in ‘variable’ usually, or ‘x’ or whatever. You even see this kind of think “Variblevariable”. For example in this text ‘variable’ is just being used as a word. Something iike that is happening I think at a crucial juncture. It is like if you called your kid “Last Name, First Name”. for a joke, it wouldn’t be funny.

@MacSparky uses a similar and common analogy, a container one. But it isn’t the same really if you go into real detail.
The analogies are correct but, for some reason they still don’t seem to help on using them often on Keyboard Maestro.

Yeah, that is what some of us came to on the forum. Peter Lewis even changed the wiki a bit. See they do use other terms. “Token” for example. There are actually different types of variable and so on too it seems. It isn’t intuitive to most users even if they understand the concept as far as I can see.

1 Like

That is true, but there seems to be a particular issue here with Keyboard Maestro. They do use the term ‘token’ too. I actually talked about it with Peter Lewis. He was really good but we still didn’t seem to sort it out. It does make sense sometimes to ask a language to be simpler than it is actually, but let’s not go there. Control panels on aircraft are a prime example that have been extensively examined for ‘user friendliness’. This applies to other things, often ‘obvious’ to those of us used to them.

I don’t think the problem in Keyboard Maestro is the concept of the variable anyway now. After revisiting it here. I think it is something else in the ‘set up’ method. I don’t know what.