Kitchen Under Cabinet Lights

Oh, word of caution when you start this you could end up like me being a #supergeek and running strips along the top cornice AND toe kicks :joy:

Looks great! Might I be nosy, and ask what the wireless switch on the fridge looks like!?

1 Like

I used the middle two switches to set different colors. Never use them, but if people ever come over again, I could set the mood.

2 Likes

I guess I should explain - the switch is magnetic and can either be placed into the switch plate as shown in the pic, or taken out and stuck on a fridge, etc.

Finished the project! Thank you everyone for your input! I used a total of 4 strips. Each side has the 80” and 40” extension. It is 2 separate strips (instead of the continuous option). Each side go up through the last cabinet closest to the microwave and from there pops into the cabinet above the microwave. Both plugs go into a surge protector and that’s a wrap! Played around with some scenes and thinking of the next “smart” project!

I drilled through the kitchen dividers and just threaded the lights through.

4 Likes

Did you go with Hue?

…

I did. So far so good. My only 2 things I saw so far (maybe due to my ignorance) it seems that I need to assign/name the lights/rooms first in the Hue app, then I can arrange them in HomeKit. When I did it in HomeKit first, it kept mismatching and shifting things around.

I turned off the lights last night (grouped together) and had my light settings saved. I created a scene in HomeKit to turn on at a set time. They turned on according to the scene but each strip was a different color. Not sure how that happened yet. Running some tests on it.

1 Like

Bringing this topic back from the past…

After 2 years…we are in the middle of a house remodel…gutted the kitchen

• installing new appliances and new cabinets

Similar question as before…but a bit different.

We removed all the outlets in the backsplash, the idea was to put a power strip under the cabinet itself and have everything hardwired

Something similar to this

The problem with the above solution in the link…I would lose HomeKit functionality in the Kitchen.

Thoughts…

Option 1: (IF I go with that device, link the power strip & light to a Lutron Switch) thus giving some type of integration

Option 2: Forget the light strip integration with the power strip combination, hardwire the power strip in the back and then put a philips hue strip in the front and hopefully be able to hide the plug somehow

Option 3: ???

I get an error when I click your link (possibly due to my security settings), but for what it’s worth:

1. I regret not getting my electrician to put a set of sockets in a cupboard/behind a panel, which I think is sort of what you’re thinking about in order to remove sockets from your backsplash? So yes do think about that! I have a HomePod mini in the kitchen now and it’s a metre away from the socket it’s plugged in to. I’ve artfully arranged the cable, but it does irritate me and I should’ve either thought about a few sockets on my shelves, or some sockets in a cupboard out of sight.

2. Because of my socket issue above, I didn’t put a mains-powered light strip in the kitchen because I didn’t want to look at that cabling. It means the kitchen is the only room that doesn’t have “optional” HomeKit-controlled lighting. This is irritating, and I recommend avoiding if you already have HomeKit in other rooms. Having one room that requires different tech and can’t be controlled from your central place (ie HomeKit) is annoying.

(I use a magnetic battery-powered light bar like this in my kitchen. It’s good, and actually it means I can remove the bar to use as a torch, but I would still prefer for the lights to be on HomeKit like other rooms.)

Since you’ve gutted the kitchen, I assume the drywall is also down. If so, you have lots of options. Take advantage of them!

If it was me, I’d want HomeKit functionality on the lights but not the outlets. I would put the two on separate circuits:

A. Have your electrician install a HomeKit compatible wall switch somewhere convenient to or in the kitchen (near the ceiling light switch for example) and hard-wire your under cabinet lights to it. This way, you could manually turn the under cabinet lights on and off, as well as using Siri/HomeKit.

B. On a separate circuit, hard wire the under cabinet outlets. FYI, you’ll probably need a DFCI type circuit breaker on that.

I would strongly recommend enlisting the services of a crackerjack electrician to assist. Tell them what you want to do, and they will come up with some ideas.

When we remodeled our kitchen, we used the LeGrand under cabinet system since we did not put outlets on the backsplash. LeGrand has outlets and lights, as well as USB plugs and other built-in integrated devices. It’s very nice, but expensive and did not support HomeKit. I like it, it looks very clean, but you do see the appliance cables.

This is what you get with 100% custom cabinetry and an interior designer (worth every penny).

3 Likes

I am still exploring options…so far, the plan is…

1. Under the wall cabinets, closer to the backsplash, we will have under cabinet outlet strips so that the backsplash has no outlets showing. All hardwired

2. (Discussion Piece) Philips Hue Light placed under the cabinet (front) stringing all around. There’s an idea of putting an outlet in the cupboard to hide that big nasty plug, but it will eat up space. I wish there was an Apple HomeKit “Puck Light” or at least that these light strips had a simple plug and not these big boxes of plastic

1 Like

If you need the power strip, perhaps one from Meross or Eve would work? You could also run HomeKit enabled light strips?

Not a puck light but have had good luck with these and the plug isn’t ridiculously huge