Kourosh Dini’s Being Productive to increase in price

I just purchased Being Productive. With the DEVONthink course, is it essential to be a DEVONthink user or do the principles apply across data managers?

The principles do apply over the board but be aware that the Zettelkasten principles are not that complex and a lot of content there applies specifically to DT (workflows, Keyboard Maestro macros…)
However it’s the only book I’ve seen so far that really has a hands-on approach to zetteling.
Honestly, I can’t give a definitive answer. There’s not a lot of structured and practical books on the subject and it’s worth considering for that reason, the principles will of course be the same, but there’s a lot of workflow stuff in there that won’t be readily applicable without adaptation.

(FWIW, I’ve still learned more from Kourosh’s book than the Sonke Ahrens one which kind of disappointed me as being very theoretical and a tad repetitive.)

That is good to know. I have been contemplating buying the Sonke Ahrens book but if you recommend Kourosh’s book instead then I may have to change my mind.

1 Like

I found the Ahrens book too superficial for my taste when it comes to workflows. It’s a great manifesto about the intellectual work going into permanent notes (and through this, shows why BASB is so poor and superficial), but it’s not practical in any way. If you’re interested in the theory, go for it, but if you just want to « do », Kourosh’s book + reading the Obsidian forum + reading the Zettelkasten website will teach you more.

I might be wrong, not having taken BASB, but it seems geared toward people who are aggregating knowledge, rather than creating new knowledge.
I think the course itself follows this model too.

1 Like

It does promote aggregation. However it labels itself as a creative course. I can tell you that however it is not. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Interesting that Socrates knew Google was going to happen 2500 years ago…

4 Likes

You know what the coolest part of Milo’s article is?

There’s no “and to learn how to do this, here’s a $999 course I want to sell you. But if you act now, you can get it for the pre-pre-pre-launch price of only $799!” at the end of it. :smiley:

1 Like

He was wise, but but not that wise!

Google however would take the curious reader here :speech_balloon:

I was a bit sad to hear about the price increase since I’ve bought everything that Kourosh has published and consider him the best writer in this space ( I’ve probably listened to the being productive audiobook companion 20 or 30 times )

Selfishly sad because the next things he’ll publish will probably be too expensive if you aren’t already using the app they are about (for example I bought the devonthink one because I knew his quality standard, and it introduced me to zettlekasten and made me use devonthink in a much more robust way).

But… I guess it makes sense to increase the price considering the quality and pricing of other products. @Kourosh if you are reading this, please think about releasing the new stuff for a similar price and maybe increase it a bit after, some kind of promo for a week or two for the people that have been following you for a long time. And also, thanks for everything you put out, from the guides, the really valuable tips in the blog to the morning piano streams. Love your voice and how you synthesize concepts and always deal with more than just the tools, I guess that the psychiatrist experience puts you on another level than most productivity writers when it comes to dealing with feelings while trying to “get things done”.

Being productive is the best productivity guide/book I’ve bought so I would recommend everyone who doesn’t have it to get it before the price increase.

5 Likes

Is the audiobook just the audio from the videos? Or is it different content?

Hi Gang.

As someone who makes stuff for sale on the Internet, I can tell you that pricing is hard. I want people to be able to afford my stuff. I also want to be able to make enough to afford to keep making stuff. It’s not easy. My plan is to stay around my current pricing except for one special project I’m working on that will cost more because it is a ton more work and expense to produce. I also have, of course, done the mathand know that if I could magically double the revenue from the field guide, I could afford to make them even better. As one of my old teachers used to say, “tough questions”.

I also agree with all the posts about the value of Kourosh’s content. It’s great stuff.

11 Likes

I have just started listening to this but yes, the audiobook is from the videos. He references the videos (as if you are watching them) in the audio. As I say I’ve just started listening and it’s very worthwhile. (I think I now have “The Complete Works of Kourosh Dini” :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Bumping this in case anybody wants to purchase before price goes up.

1 Like

Hello @webwalrus to be totally woke your pricing needs to end in a “7” $997 pre-pre-pre-launch price $797 :joy:

I do not know the background on this psychology but definitely the standard for many of the con men out there.

I have downloaded all of Kourosh’s training material except Omnifocus which I do not use and he is a great teacher and even writes some original piano material as bonus material. His productivity course really hits the nail on the head.

In regards to Tiago’s offerings, it is a different format for a different target audience. He is purposely trying to keep his courses to a handful of people where it operates live Zoom sessions with a collaborative environment and is meant to guide people into accountability. Since he fills his targetted class size every time he is just doing the capitalist thing and seeing how high he can raise the price. Nothing wrong with that. What is the value of knowledge?

Another data point is that the more humans will pay for something the more it is valued and they will be more committed to actually viewing and executing the course material.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of CONtruprenuers out there using slick sales and marketing videos with Click funnels that trap people into paying for poorly constructed training people much of which is consolidated material available free on YouTube.

My favorite for entertainment value is Mike Winnet who plays a weekly Bingo game exposing these Con Men hucking their products.

Mike Winnet YouTube

The key to productivity IMHO is that you create workflows and processes using tools that mesh with your mindset to minimize time spent on NPW (Non Productive Work i.e. admin) to free up dedicated time blocks where you can focus on single-tasked Deep Creative Work.

Additionally, I think one should continue to block time until one dies to NEVER STOP learning that has now been recently proven to keep exercising brain neuron connection paths to prevent atrophy.

1 Like

Well as I look now Kourosh Dini’s course is $247…

Glad I got in at $49!

3 Likes