Lack of Target Display Mode Predicament-M1 IMac

I write this post to vent my frustration, at the lack of target display mode on the M1 IMac. I purchased an M1 IMac for the family home last year, great machine, perfect for home computing. In addition i bought the M1Pro MBP 16 in December, as my main work computer, i have a Studio Display in the office.

Often, I need a larger display when working from home. Why won’t Apple let me use my M1 IMac as a display for my M1 Pro MBP? This is so frustrating, the IMac is clearly capable of video in, via the Thunderbolt4 ports. I feel eventually, I am going to be shoe horned into buying a Studio Display, selling the IMac and having to buy a M1 Mac Mini for the family. Why should I have to spend all that cash, when the IMac is more than capable of accepting video in? I annually give a kidney to Apple for services and devices.

Has anyone tried Luna Display, this is the only other reasonably viable option that I can find. I am just concerned about latency.

Sorry for the rant guys!

2 ways around it:

Luna Display as you said, works great or else just remote desktop into your MBP from your iMac. There will be no noticeable latency on the same network. I use a utility called Displays to set the resolution to whatever I need at the time

+1 for remoting into your MBP. I regularly did this to support my users and never noticed any latency.

I recently got my Mac Studio, and it can act as a Airplay receiver. It turns up as a second screen option in System Settings of my older iMac. Not sure if the M1 iMac can, but no reason it can’t and worth taking a look.

Of course, slight latency is to be expected. I agree that it would be nice to just plug in a Thunderbolt cable.

Hmm I’ve been using my M1 Mini as a second monitor for my M1 MBP with no real problems…Are you running Monterey 12.4 or later?

Hmmm I used (ca. 2015-2019) to use Duet to drive my iPad Pro as an external monitor but now I just use Sidecar.

How do you mean? M1 Mac Mini as a display, the Mac mini doesn’t come with a display?

1 Like

I completely agree. The lack of target display mode makes it unfeasable for me to buy an IMac.

driving its external monitor via thunderbolt

I have a 2017 iMac 5k that is basically worthless except the awesome display. I’d kill to have target display mode again so I could turn it into an external monitor for my MBP. I’ve thought about doing the conversion by putting a new driver board in it.