Let’s do an international comparison of cellular plans!

• Carrier : Three
  • Monthly cost: $15 (£12)
  • Data: 4GB (including tethering)
  • Calls: Unlimited
  • Texts: Unlimited
  • Special feature(s): Can use the above allowances in many popular destinations including most of Europe, the US and Canada as examples. However local calls when in those places are treated as international calls.
  • Carrier : Vodafone
  • Monthly cost: € 9.99 ($ 11.60)
  • Data: 2 GB
  • Calls: 200 Calls/ Texts
  • Texts: 200 Calls/ Texts
  • Special feature(s): Price includes VAT,includes EU roaming, prepaid, can cancel at any time

I use a SIM only plan, no contract. It works out much cheaper to buy unlocked phone outright (tax deductable) and get a SIM than contract a phone.

Carrier: Boost mobile (Telstra retail network)
Monthly cost: 30AUD (~ 21USD)
Data: 6Gb Unused data rolls over.
Calls: Unlimited in Australia. Unlimited international calls to 10 countries
Texts: Unlimited in Australia. 100 texts to 50 overseas countries
Special features: No contract. Stream Apple Music Data free. Upgrade or downgrade plan anytime.

• Carrier : DTac
  • Monthly cost: THB 730 (23 USD)
  • Data: 40GB

I use it for tethering…

1 Like

Yeah, just WiFi. But I am mostly at school or at home, both of which have WiFi. And most places like restaurants and malls have WiFi in the Czech Republic. So I can live with it.

My family’s mobiles are included in our cable package, there’s no separate breakdown of costs so I’m not really sure how much I’m paying for my individual line.

• Monthly cost: €120
  • Data: 24GB
  • Special feature(s): Provider: Movistar. The price also includes 600Mb symmetrical fiber optic broadband, landline, cable TV (including sports), 2 mobile lines and EU-wide roaming.

Sorry, I wrote it incorrectly. I do have cellular but no data plan. I don’t need to use my iPhone as a phone very often so I just buy the minimum plan possible. And that’s $13.50 per half a year with calls costing $0.23/min and messages $0.09/message. But if I don’t spend it in half a year (which I never do) the money just expires.

Very interesting topic :grinning:

• Carrier: BT
  • Monthly cost: $20 (£16)
  • Data: 20GB
  • Special feature(s): Wifi calls. Hotspots across the UK. EU roaming included, no extra charge for data, text or voice.
  • Carrier: Telcel
  • Monthly cost: 199 pesos ($11.00)
  • Data: 1GB
  • Calls: Unlimited to US and Canada
  • Texts: Unlimited to US and Canada

Telcel is always offering new plans. Most people pay as you go and it seems like no one has the same plan. Overall it is much cheaper than it was in the past.

• Carrier: T-Mobile (no contract)
  • Monthly cost (official): $190 for 5 lines, taxes included
  • Monthly cost (usual actual): $150 for 5 lines, taxes included (due to $10 discount for each line that stays below 2GB of data)
  • Data: Unlimited in US, Canada, and Mexico; unlimited but at lower speeds internationally
  • Texts: Unlimited everywhere
  • Calls: Unlimited in US, Canada, and Mexico; $.25/minute most other places

One line has T-Mobile One Plus (grandfathered version at lower pricing than what’s currently available), which includes an extra Digits number, 10GB of high-speed tethering, and unlimited data and texting on flights.

Another line has the Stateside International Talk with mobile add-on, for better pricing on international calls placed from North America.

We don’t pay T-Mobile for our phones. Two of the phones are Android handsets that are paid off. Three are iPhone 8’s purchased through the iPhone Upgrade Program.

• Monthly cost: $270 for 3 iPhones & 3 iPads
  • Carrier: Verizon
  • Data: Unlimited
  • Special feature(s) Hotspot data slowed after 15gb for each device

Wow @Meredith 60 gb is incredible. I don’t think I would ever use that much but must be nice to have if you need to tether your computer or some other data-intensive situations.

Monthly cost: $60 for two phones (service only, no contract, we own the phones) includes taxes.
Carrier: T-Mobile - ONE Unlimited 55 plan
Data: “Unlimited” but can be throttled after 50GB/month. 5GB LTE/month in Canada and Mexico
Calls: Unlimited (US Canada and Mexico)
Texts: Unlimited (US Canada and Mexico)
Hotspot data: unlimited at 3G speed.

Wifi isn’t as readily available in large parts of Australia as it is in the US, UK or Europe. I run my work laptop via hotspot most of the day, so between hubby and I, we do tend to chew through the data!

1 Like
  • Carrier: AT&T Prepaid
  • Monthly cost: ~$45 USD including taxes
  • Data: 8GB
  • Special feature(s):
    Extra data rolls over to next month (this resets each month). I’m a light user and work from home most of the time, so I typically have about 14GB available in any given month. Unfortunately the next plan down is only 1GB, which is too little.
    “Data Saver” supposedly automatically forces YouTube, Netflix, etc. to stream at 480p to save data. Can be turned off.

I’m a little late on this but I think this one is going to cause some serious envy :wink:

Carrier: Vodafone
Monthly cost: $4.90 inclusive of taxes (INR 299 + 18% GST)
Data: 40 GB (20 GB as per plan + 20 GB as a perk. Tethering allowed.)
Calls: Unlimited (calls to international numbers and international roaming not included)
Texts: 100 (national)
Special feature(s): Unused data gets rolled over up to 70 GB

Carrier: EE
Monthly cost: £138/month (family plan for an iPhone X & Apple Watch 3 LTE for myself and an iPhone 8 for my wife - includes the cost of the phones/watch)
Data: 15GB (per phone)
Calls: Unlimited
Texts: Unlimited
Special feature(s): Data and call/text allowance can be used in the EU, price for roaming elsewhere varies. Data can be “donated” to another line on the plan. WiFi calling, free Apple Music (subscription and data allowance) for 6 months (not used)

• Carrier: Vodafone
  • Monthly cost: €9.99
  • Data: 2GB
  • Calls: 200
  • Texts: 200
  • Special feature(s): Additional Data, Calls or Texts can be bought as packages or be paid for when needed. EU roaming included. Can cancel or edit my subscription at any time.

Nobody knows. EU-wide roaming (RLAH) was one of the many thousands of things nobody considered. The UK cwon’t be bound to the regulations of the EC, EU member states would probably be able to add roaming charges. Unless there is some kind of post-Brexit agreement on RLAH. And the same situation for tens of thousands of topics…just think EU-wide recognizion of pensions which already led to thousands of health care professionals leaving NHS.

That’s where having 2 sims cards in the new iPhone will be great!! :rofl: :rofl: