Lifetime license of Microsoft Office for MacOS $49

That person can look into the OneDrive of each member, right?

(So those NAS backups better be encrypted…)

1 Like

Not really sure (that would certainly be possible if it was Google Workspace), but I would encrypt the hell of it, yes.

Edit: it’s probably not a scam, but the risk for me would be considerable.

no, just recently bought it, interested to see what will happen after 1 year …

1 Like

oh yeah , I used a 23-bit character as the user encryption key to back up my NAS content to OneDrive

I recently bought one of these perpetual licenses of Office; the amount of pestering to subscribe to Microsoft 365 was enough to make the suite unusable. Plus, if you uninstall it, you’ve consumed the license and can’t reinstall it. It was only $35, and I’ve learned my lesson.

1 Like

sorry, I don’t get it, I thought Office license is the same as Microsoft 365 ?

Terms are synonymous, somewhat; Office 2021 is the perpetual (traditional license) version and Microsoft 365 is the subscription version.

I see, understood now. Thanks

Stack Social is having the same Office 2021 on sale again. I’d like to ask you - did you get pestering to upgrade to 365 even with the “lifetime” license? That’s a bummer!!

1 Like

Even if I was offered $49,000,000 I would not sully any of my Macs with a Microsoft product. On the occasions that I need a word processor Apple Pages is sufficient; similary for spreadsheets it is Numbers. For a database SQLite3, which is pre-installed with macOS, serves my purposes. There is always my installed version LibreOffice for an office suite. Seriously no amount of bribery would get me to install any Microsoft product.

1 Like

I’m very happy for you.
Just like I’m happy with my MS Office subscription and the cloud storage it gives for a bargain price.
I dislike LibreOffice very much.

Not sure at all what relevance any of this has with regard to this topic though?

4 Likes

Make sure the that license is transferable in case you switch computers. I bough an MS Office license for $49 with an employer discount and discovered that it wasn’t transferrable.

I was pretty disappointed when Microsoft technical support told me “sorry, not sorry” when I called them for help with transferring the license.

Since then, my employer has always had an MS Office license of some sort, so I just use that. I’d probably use LibreOffice or similar if I didn’t have access to an employer’s
license.

Gotta say, for almost 50 million dollars I’d install Edge, Teams, Office, the Xbox stuff, and anything else they wanted. Then I’d retire, which would render moot all of the reasons I generally don’t install Microsoft stuff. :smiley:

2 Likes

Remeber it well. Microsoft did it to forestall anti-trust investigation.

True. But without the promise to continue making MS Office for Mac, Apple would not have survived. And I might be carrying a Nokia phone. :cry:

Yes, that’s what happened; especially with the mobile apps.

I don’t understand. The lifetime license of Office 2021 is for Mac. How’s that extended to Mobile? Of course you will be pestered to upgrade to 365 in the mobile apps because you are likely using a read-only/viewer.

1 Like

But that does not require me to pollute my own systems with Office today.

I have been forced to use Office as a self employed IT consultant working on a customer’s site. All I will say is that the System 7 version of Office for Mac was the only reasonable implementation I have encountered but I do not wish to repeat that experience now a quarter of a century on.

Good talk.

1 Like