Like Fastmarks/Alfred/Spotlight but for Browser History?

Anyone know of an app that allows you to quickly search browser history using the keyboard? I’m thinking something like FastMarks or Alfred, where you invoke it, type a few words that it intelligently parses and offers suggestions of places you’ve visited. I realize the location bar does this to a degree, but I’m wanting something more robust. I find (Safari’s) location bar search to be unpredictable and inconsistent.

The wonderful deanishe over at Alfred’s forum created workflows for Safari and Firefox which allows searching browser history, among other things.

I feel pretty sure they also made one for Chrome, but I can’t find it now so maybe my memory is incorrect. You can find ones made by others though, such as this one.

Some notes off the top of my head:

• The Safari one by deanishe will receive no further development as stated in the repo
  • You only need few modifications to workflows made for Chrome to make them work for other Chromium-based browsers, e.g. Vivaldi

HistoryHound lets you do a fast keyword search on the entire content of all web pages and RSS feeds you’ve visited recently…

1 Like

We tied for the right answer! But you posted first! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It’s been a while but I thought it was very resource intensive … why I gave it up.

There are several Raycast extensions for this purpose, depending on your browser.

If you use a different browser for which there isn’t already an extension, feel free to reply and I’ll see if I can cook one up.

You make it sound so simple. I would have no idea where to start. :slightly_smiling_face:

You could use Alfred or Raycast. You already mentioned Alfred, so why not use it?

HistoryHound is useful in that it can search your browser history going back years (or rather, from when you start using it + browser cache).

have you looked at this for Alfred to search safari history?

1 Like