LiquidText just launched sync service

1GB storage for £9 per month. Sigh.

I’m not sure what the sync service provides for the money. With the most recent release I can save .ltproj project files and PDFs in iCloud on the iPad then open them on the desktop. Sure, it’s not “sync”, but file storage gets me to the same end point.

I’ve been doing the same with Dropbox for years. But it’s pretty cumbersome to keep track which projects have been exported, changed, and etc.

I guess most common users in the Apple ecosystem expect something like iCloud sync without manual interventions. Instead of providing that, because of “technical reasons”, yada yada, they opted to milk this basic needs for seamless syncing.

As for the “real time” part of the sync, I would imagine a local networking based solution to be much more reliable than routing changes through their servers. But again they need to justify building a complex system and charging a premium.

2 Likes

Won’t be many takers. LT was first of its kind that I purchased but through the years they lack innovation, updates and not improved their UI. Stopped using LT ages ago.

1 Like

They’re adding an image excerpt ocr feature based on vision framework on ios, only for the sync subscribers.

Considering how stupendously large their project files get the more you clip from the embedded document(s), 1GB is nothing.
Every clip of content taken will be a high-res screenshot (yes, a pixel-image) so that it still looks sharp enough when zoomed in to cover up that they are not clipping graphics and text as vectors. This is also why the performance isn’t that great with large documents.
The app had much potential, but the execution just isn’t there.

1 Like

The idea behind the app is so great. I think it has the potential to make the digital reading experience truly exceed papers. Imagine what if these ideas are implemented in Preview by Apple, or adopted widely as the industrial standard. It could have been transformative for knowledge workers, especially students and researchers.

But unfortunately these ideas are constrained from this not-so-great commercial product. They’re now trying to squeeze as much money out of the lawyers as possible with the subscription. But I don’t think the subscription will ever be successful among consumers for a number of reasons. At the same time, it’s alienating the consumer base. But business is hard.

Other competitors also can’t take these ideas as they’re patented. I just hope say a big company like Apple could buy them and make it universal and accessible.