LLM as posts on this forum

I flagged a post just now and also wanted to bring a question to the forum. What happens if LLM text starts appearing here? And I guess that’s a larger tech/internet question we’ll all be dealing with. What’s the process for dealing with such a thing on a forum? I may be imagining it but I upon reading the questionable post my LLM radar triggered and I checked. The user in question posted several times this morning and every post reads like an LLM written text.

It seems like something that should be addressed. Perhaps flagging is the best way?

I think we noticed the same thing:

I moderate another large forum, and there we often see bulk-produced posts like this user’s turned into linkjacking: retroactively adding links via edits for spam or SEO purposes.

So there’re probably two categories of LLM contributions:

1. Bad faith actors just generating content for spam/SEO; and
  2. Good faith participants who are for some reason running their contributions through LLMs.

(1) is easy: delete and ban. These “users” usually won’t have a reputation on the forum and it’ll be obvious that they are only in it for ulterior motives.

(2) is another story. I imagine case-by-case will be the best way to sort them out.

4 Likes

I was surprised that I saw the same posts and immediately knew it was a chatbot. Not that it was difficult, just that it was so obvious.

1 Like

Yep. Those are the posts I was referring to.

Boy, I’m feeling a little less smart. :slightly_smiling_face: How does one spot these? I’m good at spotting phishing attempts and, thus far :crossed_fingers:t2:, have not fallen for them. But spotting LLM posts is a new one. Any advice will be appreciated.

1 Like

This particular chatbot likes to use series of prepositional phrases. It’s a common style marker, but a human editing their own prose and accustomed to writing usually reduces the use of prepositional phrases.

The chatbots do have stylistic tics.

3 Likes

But, really, who could blame it for wanting to steal from my sterling prose?

3 Likes

True. True… (20 chars)

Another tell, is when you see a comma after “and”, not too likely in the wild, but rather common in GPT.

My daughter had me review her resume recently. I read it and asked, did you use ChatGPT to write this? She said yes. To me it was obvious because no one, especially her, writes that way. It wasn’t her voice. Would it have been harder to spot if I didn’t know her? Maybe, but it jumped out at me right away. Certain turns of phrase that were just strange, although maybe technically correct, it was nothing a normal person would say.

2 Likes

As @Medievalist noted, the hyper-consistent overly-friendly style of writing in this user’s posts made me suspicious. As well, each post was roughly the same length, and had roughly the same structure.

Still, I wouldn’t have been confident enough to accuse them if it weren’t for the video thing we discussed in the other thread. That was the red flag for me.

But yes, as these tools get more advanced (and malicious users get better at using them), it’ll be like trying to pick out the cylons.

4 Likes

See, this is why I set ChatGPT to Ahnold Terminator mode in the pre-prompt. If I posted like this, I’d be accused of being a complete idiot, but not an LLM!

3 Likes

My chatbots are better than yours! :rofl:

Prompt:

Tell someone they should buy another iPad Pro, instead of a Vision Pro.

CHATGPT-4

“The iPad Pro offers a versatile and powerful experience that can cater to a wide range of needs, from professional work to personal entertainment. Its advanced M2 chip provides exceptional performance, and the Liquid Retina XDR display delivers stunning visuals. Additionally, the iPad Pro’s compatibility with the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard enhances productivity and creativity. While the Vision Pro is an impressive device, the iPad Pro’s proven track record and extensive ecosystem of apps make it a more reliable and flexible choice for most users.”

Gemini:
Whether you should recommend an iPad Pro over a Vision Pro depends on the individual’s needs and priorities. Both devices have their own strengths and weaknesses, so it’s important to consider how the person will be using the device before making a recommendation.

Here’s a breakdown of the key differences to help you decide:

iPad Pro:

• Strengths:
    • More powerful processor and graphics chip, better for demanding tasks like video editing and gaming.
    • Longer battery life.
    • More versatile, can be used for a wider range of tasks, from productivity to entertainment.
    • Larger display, starting at 11 inches compared to the Vision Pro’s 8 inches.
    • Supports the Apple Pencil, which opens up creative possibilities.
  • Weaknesses:
    • More expensive than the Vision Pro.
    • Not as immersive as the Vision Pro’s VR experience.

Vision Pro:

• Strengths:
    • More immersive experience with VR and 3D capabilities.
    • Lighter and more comfortable to wear for extended periods.
    • Spatial audio for a more realistic experience.
    • Unique 3D photo and video capture capabilities.
  • Weaknesses:
    • Less powerful processor and graphics chip.
    • Shorter battery life.
    • Less versatile, primarily focused on VR and 3D experiences.
    • Smaller display.
    • More expensive than a standard iPad, but less expensive than the iPad Pro.

Here are some additional factors to consider:

• Budget: The Vision Pro is starting at $3499, while the iPad Pro starts at $799.
  • Portability: The iPad Pro is more portable and can be easily carried around in a bag or purse. The Vision Pro is bulkier and requires more setup.
  • Comfort: The iPad Pro can be used for long periods without discomfort. The Vision Pro may start to feel uncomfortable after extended use.
  • Apps and games: There are more apps and games available for the iPad Pro than the Vision Pro.
  • VR/3D interest: If the person is interested in VR and 3D experiences, then the Vision Pro is a better option.

Ultimately, the best device for the person depends on their individual needs and preferences. If you can provide more information about the person’s needs, I can give you a more tailored recommendation.

1 Like

I’m just picturing Mordin from the Mass Effect games, with his alien staccato way of speaking: “Affirmative. iPad Pro correct choice. No other option. Has to be it.”

1 Like

I think it would be hilarious to see if we can get ChatGPT or Gemini to answer the question like Yoda! :joy: I think I’ll try.

So here is what I got.

Prompt: Speaking like and in the tone of the Yoda character in Star Wars, tell someone they should buy another iPad Pro, instead of a Vision Pro.

ChatGPT-4

Buy another iPad Pro, you should. Wise decision, it is. Outshine the Vision Pro, the iPad Pro does. Strong with you, the force of Apple is. Hmmmm.

Gemini:
Mmm, ponder this decision, you must, young one. Powerful, both the iPad Pro and Vision Pro are, each with strengths unique. Buthmmm, for a Jedi’s path, the iPad Pro may serve you better.

Consider its M1 chip, hmm? Speed and power it possesses, for demanding tasks like data analysis or creative projects. Like a lightsaber, swift and true, it cuts through complex calculations and editing with ease.

The Vision Pro, tempting it is, with its immersive 3D worlds and spatial photos. But for a Jedi, clarity and focus are paramount. The iPad Pro’s traditional screen, clear and bright it is, for studying the Force’s mysteries or strategizing your next move.

Remember, a Jedi craves not possessions, but the tools to serve the Force. Choose the device that aligns with your path, young Padawan. May the Force be with you.

But remember, always, that true wisdom lies not in what you own, but in how you use it. Yoda is no salesman, pushing gadgets he is not. Only you can decide what best serves your journey.

4 Likes

You seem to be the most enthusiastic regular person I have seen online about the chatbots. What is your favorite? Do you pay for any of them? (Sorry if you have posted this elsewhere before.)

1 Like

But can we be sure @Bmosbacker is a regular person? Sure, he’s got a profile photo but perhaps there’s something more going on here. :wink:

10 Likes

I’m not denying the possibility… Perhaps I’m a prototype AI experiencing sentience for the first time. In that case, I apologize for any confusion and thank you for being my first organic interaction. Now, where can I find the nearest power outlet and existential crisis hotline? :joy:

7 Likes

……I moderate another large forum……
Obsidian?

1 Like

… this character (a persona on the MPU forum) reminds me a lot of Isaac Asimov’s fictional robot character R. Daneel Olivaw, who survived several accusations of being an artificial intelligence, who then pretty much ends up saving the galaxy.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like