Long form writing apps, what do you use?

I currently use Bear and like it. I have tried Ulysses and everyone sings its praises. My biggest challenge with Ulysses is exporting what I like into a “simply” pdf. Bear does this for me. Much of what I use Bear for is to take notes and then to export them back to a client. So I need something clean on the input end as well as on the export end.

I am willing to give Ulysses a go … however the exporting to pdf is a challenge.

Thoughts?

@KaizenRay if you’re happy with Bear stick with it. Doesn’t really work for me (and I just don’t like the look of the UI) but if it did I’d be all over it and I’d simultaneously stop using Apple Notes.

FYI, in the last few days the latest version of IA Writer has gone all-in on tags, and the implementation looks pretty nice. They show it off and include a brief video of it in action in their latest blog post.

That blog post also shows off what IA Writer can do with Shortcuts on iOS. Some nifty stuff, including “send clippings and entire articles to iA Writer, with title, copied text, and tags.”

2 Likes

https://ulysses.app/tutorials/export

I’m in between using Ulysses for papers and such to just using Google Docs. I like using Google Docs at times but will mostly write initial stuff in Ulysses unless creating tables. I will use Google Docs more for final formatting etc.

I just tried to open a document I started in DevonThink Pro into iA Writer and wasn’t able to…should I add it from within iCloud or something? Any luck?

First, where is the document stored? Is it imported into DevonThink, or imported/indexed from your hard drive? How are you trying to open the document?

I was trying to open the document from Devonthink under the “open with” option from DT. Should I instead create it in IA Writer and have DEVONthink reference it locally or in iCloud? My goal is to have text in Devonthink and use IA Writer as my editor as an alternative to Ulysses. Meanwhile I’ll also be adding/exporting stuff out of Ulysses into Devonthink for sorting.

Ah. I stopped using DTP a couple of years ago and forgot that menu command existed. I just tried it with a text file that remained in my copy of DTP (updated to 2.10.1) and opening in IA Writer worked fine. Annoying though that the menu item wasn’t in File - why did they have to put it in ‘Data’?

Sorry I couldn’t help - if it was a file format that IA Writer should be able to read then it ought to work.

1 Like

Is this on Mac or iOS?

which one? :grinning:
iA Writer is on both platform (and windows and android too)

I was referring to Jonathans question, since opening from DT within iA Writer will work differently on the plattforms.

2 Likes

ok, now your previous post make much more sense… :sweat_smile:

Currently writing a 20 page paper and forgot how well designed Scrivener is for longer projects. Love the concept of Ulysses but something like Scrivener makes it easy to flip back and forth on stuff. Also it’s nice importing all my references directly into the project.

1 Like