Looking For Advice When Hiring A Full Stack Developer

I’m not a developer. I work at an organization with 800 employees that provides services to children with autism. We have been successful on a few small projects for building internal tools by contracting with developers and hiring a self taught “jr. developer” to help with enhancements to that system. We are now ready to build a much larger internal tool to make the organization more efficient. To do this we will need to hire a Sr. Full Stack Developer to help guide the building of this web application. We will still have our Jr. Developer to help with the project also. Three questions…

1. Other than just posting on Indeed and other job search sites, how do I find this person?
  2. Any advice for me (I am a clinician by training but have worked in operations / tech side of the business for almost a decade), as a non developer, on how to best go about vetting this person?
  3. We don’t have the resources to compete on salary with the big tech companies, other than talking about how our organization is helping kids and families in need, any suggestions for helping convince someone to come work with us?

Have your jr. developer and one of your more trusted contractors help you vet. Make it a paid engagement for the contractor. Have the developer candidate either pair with the contractor for an hour, do a code review together or have the candidate talk through a take-home sample. And then do an hour with you, the jr, and any others they’d be working closely with.

It sounds like a big organization so I’d promote the listing in any newsletters you have and have senior employees promote someone’s post about the job listing on LinkedIn.

Offering flexible hours, some kind of pleasurable tech stack and the opportunity to get battlefield promoted will help. I’m assuming with an organization that size that if this investment is successful, the person who knows this system will be managing a team a few years from now.

2 Likes

Hi @PaulH I am working in the software development field, and happy to help. I have worked with few developers that I can strongly recommend. Would you like to share with me a detailed description of what you need exactly? I can send them your way.

1 Like