Looking for an iOS plain text editor

I’m looking for a plain text editor for an iPad. Everything I’ve come across seems to be targeted at writing markdown files with a .md file extension. I need to edit other file “types” — .Rmd, .sql, .r and, of course, .txt. A code editor would be ideal, but I don’t know any for iOS.

Suggestions gratefully received.

I’d suggest taking a look at Textastic

7 Likes

I suggest you take a look at Textastic, pretty powerful IMO.

4 Likes

It’s not updated often but I often use Kodex for this which is free and was recently recommended by Viticci (I think on AppStories?)

1 Like

'murica

:slight_smile:

I use iA writer on phone, iPad and Mac. Saves as .txt. … I imagine it can edit anything (that is text based). Not sure if it insists on using .txt when re-saving a document though. I’d hate for you to be stuck with “document.r.txt” or something.

Koder is also free.

Another vote for Textastic. Excellent syntax highlighting, built-in terminal, well-done integration with Files. Only downside is that it’s not scriptable, but I’ve been surprised to find myself not missing that… much.

Oh, and TextExpander integration, too.

4 Likes

I’ll second (or third (or fourth)) Textastic. It’s become my iPad coding editor of choice.

Imagine if we had JavaScript as a scripting language to modify file contents like drafts. I’ve sent the developer a feature request for that a while ago.

I definitely recommend Textastic too, it’s a great editor for plain text.

1 Like

It looks pretty unanimous! Textastic it is, downloading on my wonky broadband as I type. Thanks everyone.

BBEdit is fantastic, I use it every day.

If BBEdit ever managed to port itself to iOS I’d buy it. What do you recommend for iOS?

1 Like

I use iA Writer every day to edit text files on iOS.