Looking for email clients that support always replying from aliases when using *@domain.com

I’m looking for email client recommendations that play nicely with catch-all addresses, so *@mydomain.com

When I receive an email to foobar123@mydomain.com and I hit reply, I want that the sender automatically gets set to foobar123@mydomain.com. Currently no email client can do that.

Apple Mail can do aliases, but only if I add all aliases ahead of time. So if the alias exists inside accounts, it can automatically select it but that’s about it

Currently I’m using the Fastmail web interface for replying to stuff, but it would be much nicer if there was something that can handle any alias

Anything out there?

1 Like

MailMate does this with a setting in the account called “Address Pattern”.

When replying to a message, MailMate automatically tries to use the email address for which the original message was sent. This does not require the address to be explicitly declared in the settings, but it does require an “Address Pattern” as described below.
Source

Just reporting one client that does not work: Airmail. Just tested it!

That’s for me one of the reasons I use the Fastmail web interface, so interested in what comes up here!

Worth mentioning:

1 Like

Some email systems will do this automatically if you use their web interface. Have you checked to see if Fastmail offers this feature?

Looks like Thunderbird will do this, and involves adding identities from which you will receive email to you account setup in Thunderbird.

1 Like

Mozilla Thunderbird is my main email client on macOS, so I can attest to that. It works really well. :+1:

I encourage you to give it another chance.

In another year or so, it’s going to look like this. :wink:

2 Likes

not sure this counts, I am using Fmail Mac wrapper , I have numerous masked email addresses. I believe that by default fastmail will reply to any email using the “to:” address. However, to send email without a reply using the masked email address, I have to set up some as Sending Identities.

These settings are from fastmail web interface or you can change this from any Mac app for Fastmail , I think

I also use Fastmate as my desktop wrapper of choice. It’s great and my default for composing new messages, but I’m longing for something more native :innocent:

Something that doesn’t require adding identities first (like Apple Mail), but is fully comfortable with wildcard addresses

I slapped together an AppleScript that adds a new identity to Apple Mail when I hit CMD-R (through KM) but it’s a bit ghetto and doesn’t work reliably. I looked into the Mail extension API as well but it’s very limited and doesn’t allow these kind of deep interactions. Would need to be a pretty hacky solution to bake this into Apple Mail directly, though not impossible I think

+1 for mailmate, it’s the most standards compliant fully featured mail app available on Mac, not the prettiest but I will take power over looks anytime.

reviving this ‘old’ discussion. @ryanjamurphy , do you have to add the alias into Airmail beforehand? I have hundreds of masked email in Fastmail , so adding them prior is not practical. I tried to reply to an email sent to one of masked email addresses but Airmail default to one of my alias email address that I entered into Airmail. Is there a setting that I have missed or Airmail only works with email aliases not masked email addresses?

I think you missed the “not” in my comment! Indeed, you need to add aliases manually to accounts in Airmail, so it won’t work dynamically as desired in this thread.

ooops, missed out the most important word !! I need that coffee, sorry to bug you unnecessary on this

Seems only web app of Fastmail will work , and may be Mailmate

1 Like

I am reviving this discussion on mailmate as this time I am seriouisly consider to buy the license.

there is one thing that I have not been able to do, ie,.
reply to any email sent from masked email from Fastmail. I sought support from the developer but it seemed to me that I have to set up sending identities first before I can reply. I have hundreds of masked email set up on Fastmail so it is not that practical to do for all. Unless I set up sending identity every time I want to reply using Mailmate. From memory, I did not have to do that if I go to Fastmail web app and reply from there

Just want to confirm that my understanding is correct for fastmail’s masked email sending identity for Mailmate

any advice would be great

If the developer has stated differently then I think he should re-word that documentation. I don’t use the address pattern that I mentioned. I just assumed it would work that way as that’s how it seemed described to me. Sorry. :confused:

Hey MPU! How are you all doing? This is an ooold post, but I wanted to post it here anyway. If ads like this aren’t allowed, I’ll remove the post.

I was on the hunt for a service/client like this and it didn’t exist, so I built it myself. It’s currently in alpha / very early beta. I’ve been using it myself for a while and so far it’s been working wonderfully with fastmail, with the occassional bug here and there.

I’ve created a blogpost with some background on why I created this: Maskwire - Building the email service I always wanted | David Mohl

I am looking for a couple testers who would be interested in trying something new

What it is: maskwire is a transparent email service that works in between your email client and your actual email service (through IMAP/SMTP). It adds advanced functionality and tweaks that your email client is unable to implement, so you have the same functionality across all your devices.

screenshot

Following features are currently done:

• Always reply with the email that received a message by injecting a custom Reply-To address into the email, replying to that one will rewrite the outgoing email back to what received it in the first place
  • Delete shield: Never accidentally delete messages, instead move them somewhere else, for clients (especially mobile) that can’t properly swipe to archive and only support delete (like the Gmail app, or Samsung Mail)
  • Rewrite your default sender address to not expose it, for example you compose a new email and if its xxx@mydomain.com (whatever your default in Apple Mail is), rewrite it to foobar@mydomain.com. Bonus: Use wildcards to have a new email every day like mail0727@mydomain.com - perfect for when Apple Mail on iOS is your default client, and you want to quickly click on an email address to send to it
  • Limit amount messages downloaded to a email client, for those clients that want to download all your emails in existence (looking at you, Apple Mail), by rewriting the amount of emails your client sees on the server

The idea of this service is to add a collection of tools that extend what email clients can do, and normalize behavior across different services/clients. I have lots of additional features/tweaks planned and want to hear what you are interested in seeing. Some of the next stuff that’s planned are finer-grained rewriting rules (think, if you send an email to x@y.com, always rewriting the sender to X), automatic stripping of sensitive information (like your name if you never want to expose it), or loading images through a transparent proxy to not expose your IP among other things.

This is an early BETA product. Stuff will break! It is very much a MVP currently, so the minimal viable version that is in a usable state.

If you join, please also join the discord so we can chat about your experience :slight_smile:

FAQ

Q: Why would I give my email password to some random service?? Isn’t this a recipe for disaster
A: I’ve made sure to handle this with uttermost care and up to industry standards. When you create an account, the system generates a RSA2048 Keypair that is encrypted with your actual password. The publickey is used to encrypt your email details, which means that it is literally impossible for anyone to read them, including maskwire itself. The only way these details can be used is, when you yourself login through your email client. In that case your password will be used to decrypt the private key, which will be used to decrypt your email details, and only for the duration of your login session. If you logout, all of that is gone and wiped from memory immediately.

Q: Does this work with Google?
A: If you mean Gmail by API, then no. Not yet. If you use Gmail through IMAP then yes.

Q: Does this work with normal gmail addresses, not my own domain?
A: Currently all the assumptions are that you own the domain that receives the email for rewriting purpose. Adding proper support for normal email addresses are planned, but the rewriting stuff will not work because the email service will reject rewritten emails

Q: Can you add features X?
A: Please shoot me a feature request and I’ll take a look at it :slight_smile: Or reply here/on the discord

Q: Pricing??
A: Currently thinking about the right way of doing this. The current pricing is $3/month, I am looking for a price point that is comfortable to pay considering the value one gets out of it. Free tier will be available but the amount of stuff it can do is limited, and I need to figure out what a reasonable free tier could look like. Currently I’m limiting the amount of features that can be enabled to 1 feature for free users, so if you only care about sending from addresses that received an email, that should be doable on the free tier.

Please be gentle and considerate, this is not a big company project. You can find it here: https://maskwire.com

And let me know what you think after reading all of that

3 Likes

As an update to my original reply…

Oh, and to make things even better, the developers are working on an iOS version now! :partying_face:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that! I am very much looking forward to what Thunderbird looks like on mobile. Too bad there’s no dedicated mailing list to follow for updates (or a TestFlight release)!