Looking for light weight adjustable iPad Stand

I am looking for a light weight adjustable iPad stand for of the 12.9” iPad. I need something that is light enough to throw in a bag. As you can see from the picture, I use the pencil when at the coffee shop to write on the iPad (in this picture storyboarding a book project). I had to use my wallet to prop the iPad at an angle. I have a good sturdy stand for the office (see second picture) but it is heavy. I’d like a lighter one for my bag.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

More portable options are less stable, which you might find annoying.

Here’s an XL version of the stand I used for my iPad mini (I do not currently have an iPad) - seems to be smaller than yours, but since it’s made of aluminum it might actually weigh as much or even a little more:

The Twelve South Compass Pro would seem to fit the bill:

2 Likes

I love using my Stump stand for when I’m out & about. David mentioned it a few years back on MPU.
It’s sturdy & durable. It’s been ideal in upright or in writing position. Best yet, it’s easy on the wallet! Agreed the elevate stand is way too heavy to take anywhere.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!

Stump Stand

I use this one: [AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZT4VA0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rHMZCbSWGE6WC](AmazonBasics Adjustable Tablet Stand https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZT4VA0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_rHMZCbSWGE6WC)

Folds into a small space.

1 Like

That was what I was going to suggest.
Plus they’re a local business for me so I have to support them!

1 Like

Do you by chance use the Apple Smart Keyboard Portfolio? With the keyboard in typing position you can get a very sturdy stand for drawing/sketching just by flipping it. In other words, rotate so that the keyboard is away from you then tip the iPad down so that the side with the Pencil is now on the desk. Looks a bit odd but works great.

4 Likes

I do and that is a fantastic suggestion. I would have never thought of it but it works perfectly! You saved me money and one more thing to carry around. I’m going to be sharing with with others! Thanks!

4 Likes

One other option I decided to use was a knock-off ($18) iPad Pro Smart Folio Cover I found on Amazon. Gives me the same benefits as a smart cover, which I can throw in my bag and use on my iPad in instances where I want it propped up for drawing without the bulk and limited viewing options of the smart keyboard folio. It’s lightweight, gives me the viewing angles I want, and doesn’t really add bulk to my bag since it’s the same dimensions as the iPad.