Lose It app for tracking weight and exercise

Tapping around in the Lose It app yesterday, I discovered its history log, where I learned that I’ve been using the app since 2009. I weighed 271 pounds then and today I weigh 165. Lose It has been a big help to me in losing weight, keeping it off, getting healthy and staying healthy.

13 Likes

I have just returned to it after a hiatus and totally agree with you, it’s a big help. The design of the app is much more to my preferences than other apps in this space, too. My reasons for returning have more to do this time with sodium and fiber than just calories, and the ability to track these by swiping screens in the log is outstanding. Kudos to you for your health journey, too!

2 Likes

Was the free version sufficient for your needs or did you need the premium?

I use the Premium plan for the smart camera, syncing with other apps and devices, and just to support the developers.

I prefer FoodNoms, but that’s why we have a variety of apps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Congratulations, Mitch! I subscribed to the app a couple a months back, based on recommendations here, but I admit I didn’t use it yet. Looks like a huge pain in the ass, to tell you the truth.

1 Like

Because my needs this time around center on more than calorie tracking, I found it necessary to upgrade to the paid version. I also find value in the ability to use the camera to either identify the food (it’s usable in my experience so far!) or use the barcode on a package to start an entry. Both of those require the paid version.

Lose It definitely requires an investment in effort to get started using it. It gets much easier once you get all your regular foods programmed in, and figured out tricks and gimmicks for counting calories and using the app.

I weigh a lot of what I eat. Oatmeal, cottage cheese, fruit, vegetables. The scale is in the kitchen, on the counter where I prepare meals; it doesn’t take long to do.

I eat a lot of prepackaged foods. Frozen dinners from Healthy Choice and Amy’s. Pre-prepared frozen vegetables from Green Giant, Birds Eye and the local supermarket brand, Signature. Canned Progresso soups. The calorie counts are on the package for those.

That still often leaves cases where I’m guessing—for example, when eating in restaurants, or when my wife cooks something. And when that happens, I just go with it. I guess as best as I can and estimate the calories.

I weigh myself every week, and adjust my daily calorie quota manually based on that outcome. Calories are the only thing I track; I make a point to eat a varied diet, with plenty of fresh fruit and frozen vegetables, and I figure the macronutrients will take care of themselves.

I exercise daily. My exercise is walking the dog for a little over three miles.

5 Likes

That’s a massive weight loss! Congrats!

I was recently forced to start counting calories again after a long, slow creeping weight gain. I started w/ Noom, but the extra hand-holding programming was definitely not worth the cost (for me). Then I opened up LoseIt and was surprised to find that I had more data in it than I remembered. Back in 2010 I entered my probably all-time high weight of 235. Given that I"m only 5’ 9" tall, that was not a good look! Back in late 2015 I used the app to move from 200-something to the low 180’s. I later went down to around 175 but that data does not seem to be in the app.

Recently I peaked at just over 200 and after firing up the app again I’m pushing 191 and headed lower. My current goal is 165 but anywhere near that will be good, at least in the short term (40-year reunion in June!)

[NO, wait, forty-FIVE year reunion - god I’m old…]

2 Likes

i’m back in the food-logging game with an AWESOME app called FOODNOMS! I found it through MPU’s referral to the app-discount-day that had a bunch of awesome titles there.

• connect it to your apple health data and your daily allowances will be automatically updated
  • removes the friction of entering what you eat when you’re out, with AI-ASSIST. plug what you’re eating and the AI-ASSIST finds nutritional data to suggest values for your log! AWESOME!
  • community-based ingredient database has most everything by barcode! scan and add to your library with ease
  • took me 30 minutes to scan my entire fridge/pantry contents into my library
  • set goals with templates for keto, high protein, and many others.
  • who knew i was not getting all my water every day! FOODNOMS!

(i am not affiliated with this developer, the company or otherwise. I’m just a satisfied user!)

1 Like

You probably are. Your body will tell you if you aren’t, you don’t need an app for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I sat on my hands to keep from posting this because it’s a pet peeve of mine. 8 glasses of water a day is a myth, as is 10,000 steps. No basis in science. There is more truth to 8 hours’ sleep a night—but even there, that’s only an average. Many people do fine on 6.5-7, many others require 8.5-9, and some outliers get by on very little sleep at all, or require quite a bit.

On the other hand, as digitally connected humans we’re not great at being in touch with our bodies. So yes if you just drink water when you’re thirsty you’ll be fine, but sometimes we’re thirsty and not aware of it.

Interesting article I read some time ago about people who only need five hours sleep a night, or less. I have a friend like that—he only needs 3.5 hours of sleep. I have always envied such people, but it turns out to be not always great. It can be lonesome. Not for my friend—he’s an extreme introvert.

2 Likes