Lutron Caseta…where have you been all my life

I just installed 4 switches in my master bathroom and am completely sold on Lutron. I think I remember first hearing about them when Katie was still on the show and should have listened back then. I was just never sold on the idea of doing electrical work. I always end up breaking something important.

Can anyone explain to me why you can’t install one of these switches in a room where the light is controlled by two separate switches? That always confused me.

I assume that Lutron faces the same issue as Wemo on the matter (I use Wemo).
In order to install a “two pole switch”, you need to install a switch designed for that configuration (Wemo sells a specific two pole switch). Further, if memory serves, you can’t do anything with the other switch.

Here is their explanation/support page:

I hope that helps.
I have both enjoyed and been frustrated by my own forays into wiring… usually a headache. Be safe!

1 Like

We love our Lutron too. We have a mix of Caseta and some of their other products.

You can use them in two pole situations (we do), you just have to wire it differently.

For one of the two switches, wire as normal and install the normal Caseta switch.

For the other switch, wire it into an “always on” configuration (YouTube or ask an electrician). Then hide the wires in the wall behind a plate and put a Pico Remote on top of the plate.

2 Likes

I have installed Caseta switches in several locations previously occupied by a 3-way switch. You basically just need to convert the switch circuit into a single switch and use a pick remote for the second location.

Here is a link to their install document. It covers multiple Caseta switch models (e.g. the one that doesn’t require a neutral and the one that does) so scan down if using something other than the PD-6WCL model.

2 Likes

I recently installed my first Lutron Caseta, to handle an install where there was no neutral wire available.

I had to do a bit of digging to figure out how to deal with the second switch, which was as you said using the Pico remote with the bracket (not included in the set I got).

It works great and way easier for me than running a neutral wire.

1 Like

I feel like I just did this with the new Hue devices that connect to your normal light switch. I just had to connect the two live wires together and put them back in the wall.

1 Like

I love our Caseta setup. Our kitchen has smart switches, our basement/home theatre is rigged up with it, and both our home offices are equipped. It’s a great system. Will second what everybody else says about using the remote for the second switch in a three-way system. It was actually very easy to set up.

The only advice I have for Caseta folks is that, if you have bulb-less pot lights (which we do in the basement), you’ll probably need to spend extra money to get their low-power switches. Otherwise, you’ll hear humming. I imagine this won’t impact you if you have high ceilings, but our basement is only 7ft tall and it drove me nuts until I put in the other switches. Some of these new lights really sip power, and if you overdrive them with dimmers it’ll create problems.

That’s what that is?! I have those in my bathroom and I was wondering what that humming was on the switch. Does it hurt anything?

You can install them in a row with two separate switches. I forget what the word is called.

Here’s my home example. (There are several places that I have this)

Staircase - 2 switches, bottom of stair case, and the top of stair case. (before Lutron)

After Lutron

• Bottom staircase (the default on/off basic switch not smart, not Lutron)
  • Top staircase (Lutron Caseta switch)

You just need to have one of them be Lutron Caseta, I think its called a three-way or something I forget. But it’s doable.

I don’t know. At worst case, it will shorten the length of the pots. But I’m not sure that would apply. It’s not that they’re receiving more power than they can handle; it’s more complex than that. I’m not an electrician, so I don’t exactly remember how it’s more complex, but I just remember doing all the math with our electrician and figuring it out one day just by luck.

The only thing it really hurts is your ears. I guess if it’s just in your bathroom, it’s not a big deal, but it drove me insane in my office. I was happy to buy the extra switches.