M1 Mac mini audio volume randomly changes

My M1 Mac Mini has recently started exhibiting very odd behavior — I’ll be doing something on it (not even playing audio), and the volume indicator overlay will appear in the middle of the screen, and it appears my volume level is changing.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

I see TJ posted about a similar issue a while back, but it doesn’t look like there was ever a solution. My problem is similar, although the audio doesn’t necessarily go to 100% each time. And I guess it is possible that the audio indicator is appearing on screen and the audio isn’t actually changing.

There are buttons which control volume in the function row on our keyboards. They could easily be depressed by fat figures or miscellaneous items on our desks. A first step would be to ensure they are clear.

1 Like

Thanks. I will double check, although the keyboard is not touching anything and it even happens when I’m sitting back in my chair, hands off.

Could be faulty switches on the keyboard, or a USB cable/hub gone semi-fried. Easiest course of action would be to try another keyboard and see if the problem solves. Does not look like a software problem.

1 Like