M1 Mac mini Dog Slow

I was so excited about the snappiness of my new Mac mini 16 of memory 2 tb Drive.

I did a clean install and did note that something called the migration assistant was available.

As I started reinstalling the apps I saw that it was going to be a major time sink.

So I tried the Migration Asst to move over just the apps.

Now my monitor is going dark for a couple of sec about every 4 min and moving the mouse around with either the Logitech MX MASter 35 or the apple track pad is very slow and so unresponsive that it is hard to click on some buttons.

I have refreshed the OS, reset SMS/Hardware rom (I may have this terminology wrong), Checked the System Disk, removed some of the suspect apps to no avail.

I am on a call with Apple Tech Support right now, I suspect that I am going to have to take it down to bare metal and start all over. With over 200 apps it is a task that I am not looking forward to.

I have to find out what apps require that I release the license before I attempt to reinstall.

I have to create a spreadsheet to gather all of the license codes.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about this. It sounds like a giant pain in the you-know-where.

I have a note in 1Password that lists all of the apps which require “Deactivation” and where to find that option in each app. Unfortunately it’s a growing list, as most new Mac apps do this. (Older Mac developers never seem to bother.) Apple Notes would also be a good place for it (maybe better since you could include screenshots more easily).

I also keep all of my licenses in 1Password so I can easily find / re-enter them. I also try to keep all of my software license emails in one folder in my email.

Good luck!

FWIW the new version of MacUpdater (not MacUpdate Desktop) will let you search for and download apps right from the website. It’s a one-time payment, not a subscription: https://www.macupdater.net

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it out.

All of your suggestions are great and I try but normally I am so busy that I save the License in about 3 places and then forget to consolidate them.

2021 will be different. :wink:

I should do an inventory and find out how many apps will require a new license for the new machine and see if SetApp might be more cost effective.

Any suggestions on how to list all of the software installed besides just doing screenshots of the Launch folder.

One more item for my todo list