M1 MacBook Air sustained performance

Lee Hutchnison over at Ars Technica has a review of the M1 MacBook Air. I thought he did a particularly good job testing the limits of it’s ability to sustain performance over time without a fan:

5 Likes

It’s really amazing how I have yet to read a review where they weren’t blown away. I can’t wait to get my hands on one!

2 Likes

I switched from 2016 MacBook Pro 15" i7 to the M1 MacBook Air M1.

In xcode building my app and deploying it to my iPhone went from something I only did at the end of coding (using the simulator mostly), to just deploying and testing all code on the phone.

It is amazing, magic, without a single fan and not slowing down at all during hours of dev work.

3 Likes

I’ve spent some time with the M1 Air and I’ve been testing the sustained performance a lot. I cannot believe this machine.

I can do 8 hours of coding and still have 60% battery life and it doesn’t get hot or slow down.

I also tried playing my favourite game, World of Warcraft, and after almost 4 hours (my 16" MacBook Pro can last 1.5 hours playing this), I still have 40% charge left. The game never slowed down at all and the machine was not hot to the touch.

For reference, I’m using the 16GB model.

2 Likes