I’m seeing a lot of discussions about the various new Macs regarding which one to purchase, but nothing comparing to the iPad Pro as a portable workstation. At least not with consideration for the new M1 Air.
I’m currently shopping for a new portable device and I’m curious to know everyones thoughts with this comparison.
I would definitely get the new magic keyboard with the iPad, and would be doing a bit of typing. I’m intrigued by the pencil, but any potential use cases are just ideas for now. I do have a 16" MBP that I use now, it’s just not super portable and spends most of its time docked.
MacBook Air | 8 Core GPU Model with Apple Care: $1,478 (before tax)
- Faster CPU (not super relevant for iPad workflows)
- More RAM (not super relevant for iPad workflows)
- More internal storage
- Great battery life
- New hotness
- No FaceID
- No touch screen
- Slightly larger device
- No “Pro” in the name (kidding, I’m just struggling to find many cons)
iPad Pro 12.9 | 128GB Wifi with Apple Care: $1,477 (before tax)
- Pencil support for notes and possible sketching
- Standalone tablet for use away from a work surface
- Lighter without keyboard
- Will be refreshed sooner, possibly with major changes.
- Apps like DT and OmniFocus are just better on Mac (for now, I’m optimistic of the new DTTG)
- Same size screen
- Similar weight (with magic keyboard on the iPad) [MBA: 2.8lb/1.29kg vs 2.97lb/1.35kg]
- Similar price ( $1 difference )
- Both run iPad apps (for better or worse)
I had partially hoped in writing this all out that I might come to a conclusion, but I have not.
What does everyone think? Am I missing comparison points or forgetting anything?
Does this new M1 shift the balance of Mac vs iPad?