M1 Mini Clicking Noise

I’ve had my M1 mini for a week now and it has been running great. So much faster than my old Macbook Pro. I plugged a set of external speakers into the headset port this morning. They work fine but now there is a “clicking” sound (sounds like a spinning hard drive) coming from the mini. It’s still there if I unplug the speakers. I’m not sure if it started right after I plugged the speakers in or after I opened Music for the first time to test the speakers. I saw this article and wonder if it might be the same issue. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for the assistance.

Best Regards,

Chris

I’ve been experiencing the same thing. Interestingly, it seems to coincide with email notifications for me. I have two computers set up (one of them being the M1 Mac Mini), and I switch between the two of them with a KVM switch. Whenever I’m switched to my other computer, and I receive an email, I’ll hear a normal email alert on that computer, and that strange clicking noise from the Mac Mini.

It’s consistently 3 little clicks, which sound like (as you said) a mechanical hard drive click. The fact that it seems to coincide with notifications makes me wonder if it’s intentional, but that would be a very strange decision on Apple’s part. If I can reliably reproduce it, and figure out what’s up, I’ll update here.

I have the same issue. have been using m-audio speakers for the last year on my M1 Mini and had no problems. i recently got some KRK speakers (love the sound) after about 5 min of pluging them in i hear the constant click/tapping/ pulsing noise . when the audio cuts off they click about 3 more times than stop. anything that prompts sound causes the tapping to reoccurs about 3 times like the previous poster stated. notifications/music/error sound. iv tried 3 different headphone to RCA cables. im going to sty my audio interface to see if that helps.