Mac App Force Quit - Terminal Command

Trying to force quit a Mac App (Lightroom cc classic) but it does not show on the Activity Monitor (?). Can’t shutdown / restart 2017 iMac; says Lightroom running preventing. I located a list of 5 options, but, will just link the last option. So … I could see a listing of the Lightroom App from the below terminal command - but - it would not quit the LR App … I did pull the plug “Ouch!” - things restarted and just wanted to share this Just In Case problems happen again.

HAS anybody body used this command?

1. Use Terminal
    If you’re dealing with an application that won’t respond to force quit commands, Terminal’s kill command can shut the app down hard. It’s the most dramatic way to force an application or process to stop, but in our experience, it’s always effective.
  2. Open Terminal by typing “Terminal” into Spotlight.
  3. Type the following command to End the process number of the hanging application:
    Replace [Application Name] with the name of the application you want to force quit. For example, to End Chrome, we would type the following:
    This will simply show all the running applications that have that application’s name in their disk location. It won’t quit anything yet.
  4. Scan the resulting list for the correct application or process. Take note of the four- or Eve-digit number shown before the process’s name. This is the process ID, or PID, which will be used to kill the application.
    Here we can see that Chrome has the PID 2745. If you get multiple results for the application, look for the one that ends in “/Contents/MacOS/[Application Name].”
  5. Type kill followed by the PID from the last step. For example, kill 2745 will shut down the process with the PID 2745.

I have done this process many times. It’s totally safe.

1 Like

Thanks … is the syntax simply; kill 1234

It is. Here’s an example I just did where Affinity Photo is running and I shut it down using this method.

1 Like

You can use killall and not have to search for the PID.

tom9:~ tom$ killall "Affinity Photo"

2 Likes

If the program is really stubborn, you can add a -9, (to kill or killall) which cannot be ignored by the program.

killall -9 "Affinity Photo"

more

2 Likes