Mac app to create fillable PDF forms?

Been discussed before, but any news in this space? Anything besides Acrobat and PDFpen to create fillable forms from a PDF locally on the Mac?

Iā€™m not sure why you want the PDF fillable. Could you provide more context?

For example, thereā€™s a wonderful form creation product named MachForms. Itā€™s easy to get the responses in a PDF format, but the actual creation of the product is done via their online forms creation product.

ā€¦ put differently, do you need the ā€œresultā€ to be in a PDF format, or you need the content creation to be in a PDF format? (Iā€™m guessing youā€™re having a hard time finding what you want because ā€¦ itā€™s not very practical.)

Or from another perspective ā€¦ whatā€™s wrong with Acrobat and PDFpen if theyā€™ll get the job done? PDF Expert can do the same thing. Is this a price issue?

At any rate, I just tried filling in a U.S. Social Security form today. There were ā€œglitchesā€ and I had to rely on pen put to paper. Worked great!

I want to send a pdf to clients that they can fill in just by opening the pdf. PDFpen is janky and Acrobat isā€¦ Adobe. Just wondering if there are other solutions people use successfully without uploading to a website.

EDIT: I want to take an existing PDF and convert to a fillable PDF without uploading to a service. I donā€™t believe PDF Expert can do that, but if so that would be great.

Iā€™ve done it in LibreOffice. Itā€™s been a while but I can try to remember/look up how I did it if youā€™d like.

1 Like

Got it. I just double-checked PDF Expert and you are correct in that PDF Expert canā€™t do that.

ā€¦ hmm ā€¦ online forms seems much easier to me. I do remember creating PDF as forms but that was in the days when I was using Acrobat Pro. But great form creation options cost less than Acrobat. Plus they have the benefit of being able to make sure the document gets delivered to you, and other security issues.

I realize you think it ā€œshouldā€ be super simple but good forms are actually much more reliable than PDFs that you send via email. ā€¦ again this leads to the dearth of options of PDF software which creates fillable forms.

If Acrobat Pro does the job well, why not use it? (It certainly used to do the job very well.)

Just FWIW ā€¦ In those cases that I am using the form to collect data for post processing, I am now preferring a Google form.

Otherwise, I use LaTeX with the hyperref package as a FREE (as in no cost, not as in no pre-training effort) method to create PDF forms.

Which, for PDF files, should be to say, it sets the standards.

Perhaps you might include why otherwise you put Acrobat and PDFPen in the ā€œanything else butā€ category at the outset. Price? UI?

In any case, your later post states that you are want to convert an existing PDF to a PDF form. This is a different process than just creating a PDF form from nothing. Why not create a form page that exactly mimics the input you need from the existing PDF. Then, merge the existing PDF with the (one page) form that you create from scratch. The existing PDF becomes the ā€œinstructionsā€. The (single page) form becomes the ā€œfill this inā€.

If so ā€¦ as near as I can tell, MS Word can create a fillable form.

Here I have to wonder whether you will need also pay due respect to considerations on whether your clients will want you to secure their inputs in whatever they will be sending back to you. By example, I ask my students to save their signature PDF forms in a flattened format before uploading.

So ā€¦

• Are you collecting inputs that you will need to post-process in some other computer app? If so, a Google form is far superior to a fillable PDF form.

• Are you wanting to collect information that will be post-processed by reading and want to provide your clients with a way to input the information electronically on to an existing document? If so, rather than converting the existing document to a fillable PDF, create a (one page) form for the inputs and tack that one page to the end of the existing PDF document.

• Will your clients need to have assurances that their input information is ā€œsecureā€ against inadvertent changes? Here again, a Google form that sends the submission to you and duplicates the input back to the client might be preferred. Otherwise, consider how to include instructions about ā€œflatteningā€ the PDF form before returning it.

ā€“
JJW

1 Like

I didnā€™t think this was a rare use case. Imagine a piece of paper that asks for:

Name _________
Email _________

If that same piece of paper is now a PDF, a fillable version allows the user to type their responses into those blanks. Acrobat and PDFpen have this feature. I was asking for alternatives apps for this purpose, not alternatives methods of collecting information.

2 Likes

Nitro does it pretty robustly:

Available on SetApp, too.

1 Like

Consider sending a test PDF to all (or a test group) your clients asking for feedback:

: did it work on their machines without adding new software?
: if it worked, do they prefer it compared to how you used to do it
: if it did not work, does the client have permissions, e.g. from employer who owns the computer, to install other software? [corporate machines are mostly locked down with no chance of change]
: do they support the idea of using PDF filling-out as a way forward, or use the existing way?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the alternative suggestions.

As far as creating formsā€¦

While Adobe is the standard, Iā€™m just not a fan and donā€™t like giving them money. Iā€™ve been using PDFpen for years. The interface is cumbersome and I was just wondering if there was something better for creating PDF forms. I will check out Nitro.

1 Like

Itā€™s a bit pricey, but I use Wondershare PDFelement | [Official]
It can create forms from scratch or convert ā€˜plainā€™ PDFs by recognising where entries should be.
Works really well for meā€¦

1 Like