Mac mini as a “portable desktop”?

I am a long time iMac user but am considering switching to a Mac mini setup as I have 3 locations where I do work but 2 of the places I am only at sporadically. I love my iPad but ocassionally when traveling or on vacation I need a Mac.

My question: When traveling can I use my 2017 10.5 iPad Pro as a display screen for the new Mac mini or do I need the 2018 iPad Pro? I realize a laptop could also solve this use case but I have always preferred a “desktop”-like setup (ie, big screen, full keyboard with numpad, and trackpad to the right of the keyboard, not below it) and I far prefer the iPad for most of what I do when traveling. To the extent I would be mostly docking a laptop, the Mac mini seemed like a reasonable alternative setup. For travel, the 3 pound weight seems comparable to a laptop but perhaps the Mac mini isn’t as mobile as I am imaging?

1 Like

You can definitely use the 10.5 iPad Pro as a display screen for the Mac mini, either using Duet Display or Luna Display, or regular ol’ VNC.

The Mac mini is very portable, all you need is the Mac mini itself and its power cord, then your iPad (and presumably some kind of external keyboard).

1 Like

Yep would agree with the above also. I personally use screens to do it but works spot on when required :+1:t2:

Edit- sorry just realised you are taking Mac with you not remotely, in which case I think the suggestion of Luna or duet is probably best!

1 Like

It might be more feasible now that they are SSD only (less moving parts that can break when moving the Mac mini).

1 Like

As others have said, the Mini is pretty portable. I use Screens on my iPad to control my Mini when needed.

That said, Screens needs the Mac to be on the network to work. I believe that Luna Display also needs WiFi to work? If so I’d guess your Mac would need to be able to automatically log-on to the WiFi without assistance so that you could gain access to the display.

1 Like

Luna can work over a direct USB connection as well as over WiFi.

1 Like

In the pre iPad and pre Apple TV days I thought I wanted a Mac media server under the TV. I got a Mac mini thinking I could also use it as a travel computer when staying anywhere with an HDMI TV for example a hotel or vacation home. Right after that Steve Jobs said nobody wanted a computer under their TV. Then we had a power cut and had to decant to a nearby hotel. I plugged the hotel room TV into the Mac mini and realized the hotel TV was locked down so its aux HDMI input didn’t work. It was a fun machine but I didn’t try to travel with it again. The new Mac mini seems like a great deal for certain circumstances, and I strongly considered getting one.

1 Like

I’ve run into this a couple of times too, but the vast majority of hotels don’t seem to restrict HDMI input. It makes me 10 kinds of upset when they do though.

3 Likes

I’m in a similar situation: I travel every couple of months and while the iPad is great for nearly everything, it’s still not able to completely replace a Mac for me: when I really need a Mac, I need a Mac.

My solution was to buy a MacBook, ‘cause portability is what they’re designed for. It’s always ready to be used no matter where I am (airport, hotel, remote site) and it always has a working keyboard and display (and power supply/battery). I’ve never been sorry about going with a notebook over a small, portable computer.

1 Like

Kind of like when a business has double doors at the entrance and one side is locked.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I have downloaded Screens and ordered the Luna display to start. I have a few months at home location to evaluate before I will need to decide on Mac mini vs laptop with docking stations. I have just never been into the laptop form factor and can 90% of time use my iMac (desktop setup), which is why this is even a debate…also Mac Mini looks like a better fit in my usual travel bag vs carrying a latop plus iPad…but A Cautionary Tale is likely right on why it would make sense to choose the laptop option for the combination of other 2 work locations plus occasional travel.

1 Like

I’m really curious about your (or anyone’s) experience using Screens on an iPad. I use a similar app called iTeleport to connect to my “sever” Mac downstairs and on my iPad (new 11” Pro) it’s very laggy.

By contrast, connecting via remote desktop from even my very slow 2015 12” MacBook it’s almost lag free. I would love a software only solution that I could use on my iPad that works with little to no lag.

1 Like

I have had a good experience with screens, use it in the house to control a headless Mac mini and also when I am out if I need something OSX based that the update can’t do. Lag is minimal when out and about and none at all at home.

I particularly like the use of my phone as a trackpad when combined with the iPad.

Definitely worth the cost in my opinion.

3 Likes

Thank you! I can’t believe how much better it seems to be than what I was using!

2 Likes

I just moved from the free TeamViewer to Screens 4. I’m annoyed I waited so long. the iPad interface is really intuitive and handy, and the Mac client is really strong.

I’ve been setting up a headless Mac mini at home, and Screens 4 on my iPad has been better than my Luna Display (for this). I’d recommend trying it out.

1 Like

Jump Desktop is also a great option for remote controlling a Mac from an iPad. Also with two specific models of Bluetooth mouse, it allows you to use a mouse on your IPad which is passed through to the remote Mac. Mouse doesn’t do anything ipad side except connect via Bluetooth but is passed through to the Mac.

1 Like