Mac Power Users 437: The iPhone as a Communicator

I was working for a small web agency in 2006. We didn’t had a fax machine, we didn’t bother to by one, we were an internet company after all :wink: But we regularly get fax tone on the line. So instead of buying such a machine, I connected our phone line to a fax card plug inside one local server, and set up a service to “print” and forawrd fax as PDF as mail… At least no paper involved, and the setup cost was just a linux service to set up, which I did myself :slight_smile:

Regarding long press versus 3D Touch I could not find a definitive answer but 3D Touch is still listed on Apple’s website and developer portal. Also “long press” is where you hold but do not press down and usually has a different function in many apps.

https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/ios/user-interaction/3d-touch/

There are a few points for this can be confusing but I think I understand what’s going on… If you’re using Wi-Fi calling on your phone you can’t decide whether you’re using Wi-Fi calling or not (if the feature is turned on). If you have Wi-Fi and the Wi-Fi audio text appears in the top left of the phone then it will be using it. If the Wi-Fi connection is not good enough it will just use cellular. However, if you’re using Wi-Fi calling from another device like an iMac for an iPad and this device is tethered to your phone and it will be using your cellular data I believe. And if you’re making A call from a device which does not have cellular capability and of course it must be Wi-Fi calling.

A voice mail transcript app that is pretty accurate is YouMail. What is particularly nice is the Smart Greeting that matches a phone number with your contacts and customizes your greeting by inserting the caller’s name: "Hi John, Melanie is currently unavailable . . . . " There are also several optional pre-recorded greetings to choose from. It includes a robocall blocker and you can add additional phone lines.

Great episode - learning so much! Still listening as I write this but had to tell you right now how helpful this episode will be for me!

So I have an iPhone 6 on the Sprint network in the US and I definitely can’t use a cellular data connection whilst making a call - is that no longer a restriction on some of the newer iPhones? I thought that it was one of the features of the CDMA networks that Sprint and Verizon use that you can only use either data or make a call, not both. That’s the main thing I miss about being on AT&T…

And in terms of WiFi calling - it’s great when I’m at home and need to use it because my cell connection can be a little weak at home, but very annoying if I start a call before leaving the house as I can guarantee that as I lose WiFi connection the call drops- none of the promised seamless switching between WiFi and cellular that the feature is supposed to enable. It’s also about the only way that most people in my office can receive calls as the building is so solidly built that it’s like a Faraday cage for the cell signal.

So I discovered that two conditions need to be met to have Voicemail Transcriptions:

1. The carrier needs to support “Visual Voicemail” and here’s the list: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204039
  2. The Siri language needs to be set to “English (United States)”

My carrier in Luxembourg supports Visual Voicemail and when switching the Siri language, Voicemail Transcriptions became available.

The issue is that all the voicemail I receive are in French si I get the following message: “Unable To Transcribe This Message”.

So I’ve left a message in English and it kinda worked, but the transcription was not so great, most probably because of my french accent :smile:

1 Like

Hi @cai and @RosemaryOrchard. Yeah o2 still does it and they’re still the only uk network as far as I know. Possible EE but not 100% sure about that. But you have to call them and tell them you have an iPhone otherwise it’s turned off by default.

1 Like

Just a reminder… 3 more days for the Hoodie and the Shirt. Just bought both!

2 Likes

True, long press and 3D Touch have different confusing behaviour depending of the device.

On iPhone (8),

• 3D press usually gives a menu or shortcuts to functions
  • long press (1 second) allow for uninstall and moving icons

On iPad Pro,

• no 3D touch
  • long press (1 seconds) allows moving icons
  • longer press (2-3 seconds) allows uninstalling / moving icons

I’m always perplex how long I need to long press when switch from one device to another.

There was one question that the episode didn’t answer–does anyone have any experience with dual SIM solutions? I know that there are rumours that the next iPhone X will have this feature, but I’m looking for a solution sooner than that given that I have active phone numbers in two countries. Thanks!

I have the same problem, my current solution is not cheap as it involves two iPhones, but it does work. If you turn on call and SMS forwarding then any messages and calls you get on one phone will be forwarded. If the one you use less supports wifi calling then in my experience you can leave that at home, and just carry the other one.

I’ve seen dual-SIM cards that connect to the iPhone with Bluetooth, but I have no idea if they are any good.

Fax is pretty much dead. I have an efax number I got back when it was free but have not used it, not even once, in the past five years.

I remember when fax suddenly became an absolute requirement for any business, around 1990-something. Sigh. Doesn’t seem that long ago. Guess I am now old.

1 Like

Re: Phone spam

I have had good results from Hiya and TrueCaller, both free. Certainly not perfect but they flag a lot of bad calls.

But my main strategy is simply that I do not answer any calls unless I know who’s calling. My spam call frequency has decreased over the past year or so; not sure if that’s because I don’t answer them.

As a fresh PhD student in 1991, I went to my boss to request a second computer for our lab so we had better access to email. (We had a single SE/30 running Pegasus Mail at the time.) He declined and we got another fax machine instead because ‘fax is the future’. :smiley:

1 Like

I tried to follow the instruction for keeping your messages on iCloud using the link in the show notes (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208532) but when I go to settings>name>iCloud there is no option for messages there as it shows in the instructions. Is there another way to find this?

Make sure you’re running the latest iOS :slight_smile:

@katiefloyd’s tip about using tapback to end a conversation is a great one. I do it frequently. Sometimes I send a heart emoji to my wife, or the :sunglasses: emoji to anybody else, for the same purpose.

To me, it’s like saying “goodbye” to end a phone call, rather than just hanging up abruptly.

2 Likes

Sometimes myself or my mom have people who we’re texting who have iPhones but the texts are showing as green or go between blue and green. Is this also maybe the person on the other end not on stable WiFi for iMessages?