Mac Power Users 445: HomeKit Intensive

I’m just starting out with this. I have a hue bridge and a couple of lights in my office. I’d like the lights to turn on when I enter the room and turn off when I leave. Do I just need a motion sensor to accomplish that?

Do I need to add the hue bridge to my Home App room? The Home App seems to be having trouble finding it, but the Hue app seems to work fine.

I’ve tried to add the Hue bridge with both my iPhone and my iPad. Each successfully captures the Home ID from the back of the bridge but neither finds the bridge. I’m using a Linksys mesh wifi router that’s plugged into the same switch that I’ve plugged the bridge into. Is there some IP address compatibility problem? Any way to check that? The bridge connects to the light bulbs no problem.

I’ll acquire a couple of motion sensors RSN.

This is a great pain in the arse. After a deal of pissfarting around, I discover The only way I can get the Hue bridge added as a HomeKit accessory (and thus accessible via Siri) is to plug it directly into my internet router and put my phone on the router’s wifi network, instead of the mesh network to which everything else is attached, including the Homepod. If I plug the bridge into the switch that I’ve got connected to the router into which all my wired connections go the lights connect to the bridge, but I can’t control them via Siri. I probably need to move the HomePod to the router network as well, which is sub optimum if I then buy another HomePod for another room. Why do they have to make these things so difficult!

1 Like

OK, so I’ve shifted the Hue gear to my ISP’s wireless router, and also the HomePod. To set up the lights I had to put my phone temporarily on that network. Now I can walk into the room and say “Hey Siri, lights” and they come on, which I think is pretty cool. Not us cool as saying “Lux” maybe, but one thing at a time :grinning:.
I’ve now ordered in a motion sensor, anyway, so shortly I won’t need to say anything.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll give it a go when the sensor gets here.