Mac Power Users 469: Running a Business with G Suite

2 Likes

David really wants that Jamboard.

2 Likes

I thought the realtime feedback was going to be Stephen saying that heā€™ll have to pay $18 per month instead of $15 starting in April (https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/g-suite/new-pricing-for-g-suite-basic-and-business-editions)

I donā€™t disagree with the conclusion that G Suite is much better at collaboration than iCloud or Office, but I donā€™t agree that this is because native apps add more ā€œabstraction.ā€ When youā€™re running Google Docs youā€™re running software locally on your machine in exactly the same sense as when youā€™re running native Word. This software is obviously tightly tied in to Googleā€™s back-end, but so is Office these days, and the software that you are using is not running on Googleā€™s servers.

This is just a pet peeve of mine, as the default mental model for web apps seems to be that youā€™re remoting into a server and running apps there, like you would with ssh or an X-session. But thatā€™s not how web apps work, and the problem they solve is different (cross-platform availability, since you just have to ensure each platform has a decent browser that can run apps, and installation and version management headaches).

I think youā€™re reading too much into it. The way I think about it is in concrete terms. Google Docs may use system shortcuts for some things, but didnā€™t have immediate access to thinks like the macOS font panel, AppleScript, the Finder and other OS-level features. It has the browser as a level of translation between the work and my computer.

I had used G Suite for about half year before migrating to Microsoft offer. I was indeed quite satisfied with what G Suite offers, especially the versatile search-based filtering, but as mentioned several times in the episode, using Googleā€™s service on iOS is a pain-on-the-ass. The official apps hesitate to incorporate latest iOS features, and if you use the stock Mail app instead, thereā€™s no push notification. Microsoft, on the contrary, has been a good Apple developer and supports all these in a far quicker pace.

1 Like

Listened to the episode. Was enjoying it, was annoyed. Overall feelingā€¦

Mehā€¦ ĀÆ_(惄)_/ĀÆ

The only Google Drive feature is Drive. I can rarely find stuff in Google Drive if I donā€™t have the link. I donā€™t really know why either.

I donā€™t know if anyone has this issue, but I really want to use Gmail with Mail.app but the lack of push notifications with Gmail bothers me. I have a Gmail, not a Gsuite account. Has anyone found a way around this?

1 Like

Fraser Speirs, a school administrator in Scotland who co-hosted the iPad-focused Canvas podcast with Federico Viticci 2016-2018, brought up numerous times the different ways that GSuite did not work as well on iOS as it does on Windows or Chromebook. (One of the best episodes discussing this is last Augustā€™s ā€œLiving the Google Lifestyle on iOSā€)

This seems o be a purposeful decision by Google to make iOS a second-class citizen with its app suite.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been using most of Googleā€™s IOS apps exclusively for the last year or so, and havenā€™t bothered to keep up with changes in mail.app. What are the ā€œlatest IOSā€ features you mentioned? Thanks.

Split view, drag and drop, new screen resolutions, etc.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found search really good in Drive, better than navigating a web interface anyway.

This is where I was while listening to the episode. Thought David and Stephen might be interested to see! Note the iPad. We use these for a bunch of very cool aviation apps. I fly in Lesotho, in Africa, doing medical relief flights into the mountains. We use iPad based software for a whole bunch of things. In flight I usually have a map screen on, showing me terrain, as well as our company, made airstrip diagrams. Itā€™s very cool. Anyway, thought you guys might like to see it. Iā€™m listening to MPU through my flying headphones via Bluetooth, BTW. Thanks for the show.

15 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s really neat to see!

1 Like

I spent 5 minutes looking at that thing in his hand, thinking, ā€œWhat the heck kind of iPadā€¦ā€

1 Like

As a nice follow-up to this weekā€™s episode, Google has just announced their Docs API. I havenā€™t got a chance to try it myself yet, but it seems promising.

PS: Finger-crossing to see whether this could enable third-party, non-Electron wrapper apps with more ā€œnativeā€ behaviors.

1 Like

So in listening, David talks about a spreadsheet he made that then clients can comment about stuff. I like the usage case though Iā€™d there a concern for privacy? Is it fine because the files referenced arenā€™t directly in Google sheets?

Great episode! Thanks for everything you shared, David and Stephen.

I have a Google Appsā€¦I mean G Suite accounts for both my personal and professional domains dating back to the days when Google offered a free tier.

I use Google Calendar for my calendaring (which is great) and have been using an IMAP provider for email for years after giving up on using Gmail with Mail for macOS. Good to hear that these issues are a thing of the past.

A few collaboration apps that are worth considering as alternatives or complement to some of Googleā€™s offerings:

• Dropbox Paper ā€” I started using this regularly quite recently. I much prefer it to Google Docs overall. Itā€™s not as feature-rich in some areas, but itā€™s much more attractive, works better on iOS (as far as I can tell), and supports Markdown. It also has a slick checklist feature; checklists can even have due dates and be assigned to specific people.
  • Quip ā€” Iā€™ve spent a bit of time with this one, but not long enough to have a very strong opinion. Itā€™s owned by Salesforce (so has a strong backing) and the feature set is impressive
  • Airtable ā€” Iā€™m a BIG fan of Airtable. Itā€™s kind of like Google Sheets on steroids. Its functionality is extensive, yet itā€™s very intuitive to use.
3 Likes

Haha. Yeah, sorry. But you saw it in the end? I usually have a knee strap, and our cockpits are pretty small and short on space to have it anywhere else!