Mac Power Users 480: Catching up with Michael Hyatt

I like the “suffering” link with passion, but I actually interpret the meaning of it a bit differently: What do you care so much about that not to do it would be painful?

2 Likes

We just completed an anonymous survey of our 1,800 faculty and staff, with 83% saying they are enthused to come to work everyday.

We also help people get out of dull, droll jobs into fields they want to do. If someone dreads their job everyday, then they need to take the steps needed to get into something more fulfilling. A person might not be able to quit their job today, but they might be able to in a year or two. I have seen hundreds of people do this. Things like a retail manager becoming a special ed teacher, or an accountant becoming a nurse, a waitress becoming a rad tech, etc.

1 Like

At least in the US, there are more issues to consider than figuring out a passion (most people already know). Consider the number of people who can’t indulge because their current 9-to-5er provides health insurance. Maybe, someday, perhaps, we’ll have universal healthcare like our European colleagues which will release the creative juices of the masses. In the meantime it’s tough to take risks when you’re one accident or illness away from bankruptcy. (and don’t even get me started on those with pre-existing conditions)

4 Likes

I agree. I was lucky enough to have a job I loved for 30 years, but I didn’t enjoy every minute of every day. I could get a bit grumpy after a few days with very little sleep. But when the crisis was solved, and I’d had a shower, a steak, and some rest, I was happy to return to work. The bad days just made you appreciate the good ones a little more.

Thanks for the clip, I’m a fan of Mike Rowe. His podcast is normally very interesting.

Excellent podcast. Thank you.

Really enjoyed this episode with Michael Hyatt, David and Stephen! Wow, I am listening to it again, there was so much I wanted to make notes.

I got “Free to Focus” on Audible and that’s in the queue to listen to as well.

And I’ve wanted a replacement for Fluid for years now, so I got epichrome and made an Overcast FM app and am listening to MPU on it now :wink:

I plan to check out Text Soap.

Lots and lots of good info in this episode.

Thank you all!

Fred

My take on Hyatt… his ideas are recycled Covey, without the spiritual/philosophical depth.

So while I find his content ho hum, it was interesting watching him transition from a CEO position to a social media entrepreneur. I’d imagine many others would choose retirement.

2 Likes

Interesting you say that… I agree. I think Covey’s ideas are timeless and a lot of people use his stuff.

I agree; this is a huge part of his appeal. There aren’t many executives that busy who are into personal productivity and enjoy blogging about it. To see him turn it into a business is inspiring, even though I realize he was much more likely to succeed than me, let alone others.

Covey was also an idea repackager to an extent. For whatever reason, there is a demand to constantly update/adapt these ideas and give them context. But I think Hyatt has legitimately innovated as well with some of his writing and products and the way they intersect.

2 Likes

True. The crux of the 7 Habits - 1, 2, 3, & 7 in particular - were inspired by Mormonism and Logotherapy (Viktor Frankl). The tactical stuff is lifted from “Connections”, written two years before 7 Habits of Highly Effective People was published.

However, Covey’s overall message seems to go in a very different direction than Hyatt and other productivity authors. Much less tactical, more philosophical/spiritual/relational.

True enough. Perhaps I’m an old soul, but I find the original thinkers more interesting than the version 2.0s.

1 Like

I think there is value in what Michael said about work, but it’s not about finding your passion. Some are lucky enough to do what they love, some of us do what we like and are good at and enjoy most of the time, and some hate our jobs and muddle through - either because they have to or just don’t have the desire or work ethic to change.

I believe everyone can improve their work in some small way, and sometimes small changes have a big impact. Isn’t that why a lot of us are productivity junkies or look to automate small, tedious tasks so we can go deep on interesting things?

One of the saddest things I see is people that throw up their hands and don’t believe change is possible. People I work with that have thousands of emails in their inbox and hundreds of unlistened to voicemails because they’re “too busy”. Instead of asking for help they use it as a crutch and then wonder why clients get pissed off when they don’t get answers or timely responses.

Sorry, end of my rant.

3 Likes

First time listening to podcast while driving to work, and this was the one that played, thanks for keeping me occupied!

On the note of Denmark being the happyist nation (I believe we’re at #3, however you quantify that?), I believe it’s because of our welfare system, it’s true we pay about half our income to taxes, and 25% for sales tax, meaning we have a lot of money in the state bank to pay for our hospital bills, schools and other stuff. I’m a university student, and because I do not live with my parents I get $1k~ish in USDs, where 1/3 is taxed, because how I set up my system. people who live with their parents gets between or sixth to half that, depending on parents earnings.

There’s a lot more to it ofcourse, but I believe it’s the welfare system that makes us so gosh darn happy!

2 Likes

This podcast got me interested in trying out Fluid. However, for a particular daily-use web service Fluid didn’t quite work (an important function, which presented information in a new tab didn’t work). However, after too much fiddling, I’ve discovered Unite which seems to do much the same (for twice the price) and works with my main web app.

Thanks for sending me down this rabbit hole!

3 Likes

Fine podcast. The Hyatt I enjoyed was the one who wrote about markdown years ago. But I’m not walking an entrepreneur path.

However, I do relish enthusiasm. Picking over the bones of what’s espoused I sometimes find a nugget.

Unite was also recently added to Setapp, too.

Hi gang. I just listened to this podcast and thoroughly enjoyed this episode. I too like the idea of identifying three important tasks so as not to have an overwhelming to do list. Although I am retired I like the feeling of having accomplished something during the day.

Overall, this podcast was enjoyable because it just felt like a normal conversation about life in a modern world; social media, getting work done, creating more free time and looking at what matters most… on and on.

The thing that really thrills me is the conversation here on this forum about passion. In a perfect world we would all have the money and the time to pursue all of our dreams. And in the real world people do jobs not for the love of it but as a means as others have mentioned. This of course inspires many conversations regarding the jobs we do, why we stick with the jobs we hate, the cultural differences, needs, wants desires, practicality, possibilities.

A truth: we have one life and it is a finite thing. Thank you to all the posters as I have been inspired, and I love being inspired.

I listened to one of my favorite discussions by Joseph Campbell and Bill Moyers on following one’s bliss after reading this forum. Here is a link.

This is what I was thinking. I am always so inspired to listen to Michael because he represents a mindset. It’s a mindset of constant improvement and clarity. It’s about finding what’s truly important in your life and it seems that he has done so. He presents himself with having such clarity in everything he does. Everything is deliberate. I think we can all do that wherever we find ourselves.

As a teacher I hate grading writing assignments, but I understand the importance of why I assigned that work. However, with an improvement mindset, I can ask myself is there any more interesting ways for me for a student to display this knowledge? If not, then drive on and put it in the necessary, but not fun column, but if I can improve it, make the change.

5 Likes

Good Notes stuck me as bing something to consider. I keep hoping Evernote would straighten up. I did not renew that subscription.

I started listening to the episode and ended up getting sidetracked. I usually listen to the podcasts when I’m out in the garage working on some sort of project.

Well said Jeremy, and thank you for being an engaged teacher. As a spouse to a teacher I know how hard you work and how important it is to be organized. Your students are lucky to have someone with a growth mindset.

2 Likes

Great episode! One of my favorites in recent memory. Thanks guys!