Mac Startup - do these need to remain enabled?

SshResident and SshRegister are both set to be active at startup. Do they need to remain active and if so - what do they do?

SSH is integral to macOS to securely perform Unix commands, to connect remotely, to effect passwordless logins when you turn on your Mac, all manor of network services.

The built-in Terminal app is an SSH client.

Thanks - I’ll keep them enabled - appreciate the quick response

While @bowline is right about SSH being part of the operating system, I have Remote Login (that is, SSH) enabled on my laptop running Mojave, and I don’t have files named SSHResident or SSHRegister on my system.

It might be worth looking into.
For instance, you could disable them, reboot, and see if there is anything you can’t do.
Another odd thing is that Google search doesn’t turn up much of anything. I found mention in conjunction with Fujitsu on this thread.

Just checked the processes. I have:

PID USER      PRI  NI  VIRT   RES S CPU% MEM%   TIME+  Command
  423 lars        8   0 4775M 17956 ?  0.1  0.2  9:41.98 /Applications/ScanSnapHomeMain.app/Contents/Helpers/SshResident.app/Contents/MacOS/SshResident -psn_0_139298
  433 lars       17   0 4771M 21732 ?  0.0  0.3  0:26.29 /Applications/ScanSnapHomeMain.app/Contents/Helpers/SshRegister.app/Contents/MacOS/SshRegister -psn_0_147492

So, they are both part of ScanSnap Home.