Mac Studio and Studio Display reviews

Yeah, still on 15.3.

1 Like

Plugged it back in and it’s just appeared… odd. Ah well.

1 Like

I am returning my Studio Display after 3 days because:

The WebCam is astonishingly bad. I don’t trust Apple to fix it. There has already been one patch that appeared to make no difference.

The Studio Display does not work with pre-2018 Mac minis even with adapters. (Connects nicely to a M1 Mac mini)

The height is less that the old Thunderbolt display. Enough to be annoying. Don’t want to use a riser. The extra cost of an adjustable stand is crazy.

Lack of ports on the back. Could have had TP4 port. (I use the Ethernet, Firewire and TB1 ports on the back of my Thunderbolt display but obviously would not expect them).

The speakers and mic are much improved but not good enough to justify the high base cost.

==

While the display is crisp and bright it is not enough to make up for other deficiencies.

3 Likes

all valid points @sw2015 I am still indecisive. The webcam patch may seal the deal but if it doesnt arrive within my returns period, I will be returning the studio display.

@sw2015 What are going to use after returning the studio display?

With speakers, the issue always comes down to physics. I really have been impressed with the speakers on my 16" MBP M1 Max, which I think is consistent with @anon20961960’s observation:

For me, I find them loud and they seem to have a decent sound stage… for builtins. My audioengine a5+ speakers are substantially better and provide the audiophile experience that I crave. That said, I don’t feel cheated by the speakers in my MBP when I’m away from my office and I can happily listen to music and feel that it sounds great (not as great, but still great). Maybe I’m more tolerant than my other audiophile friends.

Either way, I do recognize what @anon20961960 and @va1984 are pointing out – the speakers are great in context, but you have to have that context otherwise it creates unrealistic expectations – e.g., saying goodbye to one’s bookshelf speakers is an unrealistic expectation for those of us who want our music to sound like the concert hall.

3 Likes

I can’t help but notice that it looks like you poured yourself a nice malt beverage before taking this photo :smile:

I like the setup. Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

I have gone back to the old Apple Thunderbolt display.

Am not missing the new display at all.

3 Likes

It didn’t happen every day but I’ve had to replace several iMac, etc. power cords. We had power outlets in the floor that people were always hitting with their feet. And there is always some low level manager who thinks the rule against moving equipment doesn’t apply to them.

I could see this being a problem for businesses that don’t want to buy a couple of $1600 monitors to keep as spares. YMMV

I don’t think you’re being snobby at all. When I listen to music, sound quality is important (not audiophile important, but still important). Anything that has (a) speaker(s) in it but is also something that’s not a speaker generally doesn’t have audio quality that measures up to (even lower end) dedicated speakers.

I think context is important. Compared with other laptops, my 16" MBP sounds great, but in no way is it something that I’d use for listening to music.

2 Likes

I really have to see the nano-textured version before I decide whether or not to buy one of these. I hate glare, but I also hate less-than-sharp text and I’ve heard that the nano-textured displays are noticeably less sharp. If that’s the case then I can stick to my 4K scaled to 1440p (same resolution that the 5K presents).

I’m getting this for my new standing desk.

Jarvis Dual Monitor Arm - Fully | Fully GB

I’m not buying the display or studio - but this with a laptop tray is what I’ll be using with my Macbook Air and HP laptop with a dell 4K monitor.

2 Likes

I’m pretty satisfied so far, though I think I’m going to spring for the more adjustable stand.

All I wanted was picture quality, stability, and a sleek look. I got that. The Dell 4k monitor I was using was good, but not great. This feels like a meaningful upgrade and one that should last me a long time.

I also don’t use the speakers because I have room for these nearby. :wink:

10 Likes

I have setup my new Mac Studio (MAX chip) and just started using it. So far just loving it!

4 Likes

The subtitle of that article says

Rumors suggest a big Apple Silicon iMac is coming, but it’s not here yet.

So I’m holding out for now.

I, too, wish they refreshed the 27" iMac this month, and I hope the rumors are right and they will sometime this year release an iMac with a 27"+ screen.

1 Like

Anything is possible but an M1 27" iMac this year looks like a long shot.

" With the introduction of the new Mac Studio and Studio Display, Apple quietly discontinued the 27-inch iMac – which was still sold with an Intel processor. While the company told the press that the 27-inch iMac is gone for good, rumors were suggesting that Apple has a new “iMac Pro” in the works, but this may no longer be the case.

Sources told 9to5Mac that Apple currently has no plans to release a larger-screen iMac in the near future. The information comes from the same sources that revealed to us the plans for Mac Studio and Studio Display in advance."

On the latest episode of Upgrade Jason Snell did a really good job unpacking the differences between Apple-oriented reviewers and the more general tech press on the Studio Display.

He also had some really insightful comments about why lots of reviewers were more negative about the webcam than he was. In a nutshell, he’s got a lot of use out of Center Stage on the iPad, while others seem to be comparing it with 4K webcams or mirrorless cameras, and he’s got fairly good lighting conditions while others desk setups may be more challenging.

I’ve been using my Mac Studio and Studio Display since Friday, and I can’t be happier. This setup replaced my ancient 2012 Mac Pro and 27" Dell 4K display. I was planning to keep my reference monitor which is a 24" 4K Dell display, but getting it to color match the Studio Display has been challenging, plus it’s max brightness is comparatively dim.

I have another Studio Display on order to replace the Dell 4K, but I’m going to try the 24" LG 4K this week—the one that Apple still sells—and see if I can make due with that. The LG is about $900 cheaper than the Studio but has a similar panel and color profile.

As others have mentioned, I was hoping that I could put away my (also ancient) Bose desktop speakers, but the speakers on the Studio Display don’t quite cut it for me.

5 Likes

If one wants to hear an over-the-top, oh-so-negative, snark review of the Apple Studio Display then the Verge podcast should fit the bill. These folks are so self-satisfied with their tech nerd perspectives and oh so clever remarks that it borders on tech satire

3 Likes