Mac using the AX88179 networking service instead of USB 10/100/1000 LAN. Problem?

As I understand it, the normal “Networking service” for a Mac to connect to the Internet is USB 10/100/1000 LAN. However, a few weeks ago I noticed I was connected via a service called AX88179. I Googled it and it seems to be a USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet controller made by ASIX.

Thinking it might be part of my Twelve South Stay-Go hub, I contacted them and one of the techs said his Mac is connected via USB 10/100/1000 LAN, but his networking services list also shows AX88179. And he didn’t know what that was.

I’m just concerned that my Mac’s connecting via “AX88179,” something I’ve never heard of, instead of the normal "USB 10/100/1000 LAN” I think most Macs normally use. It was doing this under Catalina and I recently upgraded to Ventura, but nothing changed.

Should I be concerned?

I’m connected to ethernet via a Stay-Go that’s connected to my monitor (Mac connects to monitor over Thunderbolt) and my network connection shows as an AX88179A. I wouldn’t be concerned; I can say that because I’m not actually concerned :slight_smile:

I’ve seen various odd things show up as network adaptors over the years, depending on if I’m using things like USB hubs with ehternet, Thunderbolt docks, and whatever else.

1 Like

No, you should not be concerned. You’re using the interface on the dock and not the interface on the motherboard. It’s working as it should.

Thanks, friends. I’ll relax now!