MacBook Pro 2018 constant kernel panics

Hello,

My MacBook Pro 13 inch 2018 on macOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69) suddenly started having constant kernel panics today and reboots itself repeatedly every ~2 minutes.

First, I consulted the crash logs in Console.app. The process that crashed is called remoted and located in /usr/libexec/remoted. This process exhibits a fixed crashing pattern: each time the computer boots up, it will always crash two times. The first time occurs 72s after boot, the second time 130s after boot (which presumably causes the kernel panic).

Next, I booted my Mac into safe mode according to this Apple Support article. It no longer suffers from kernel panics in safe mode, but as soon as I do a normal reboot, the repeated kernel panics will continue.

I tried googling for these symptoms but found surprisingly little info. This thread discusses an issue very similar to mine:

I would really love to avoid going to the Genius Bar right now. Any help with troubleshooting is greatly appreaciated.

Have you done what Apple mentions under ā€œIf the issue doesnā€™t continue in safe modeā€?

Apple has done a nice job in presenting the steps in an escalating order:

• Test your login items.
  • To learn whether software in your user account is causing the issue, set up a new user account, then log in to it and try to reproduce the issue in that account.
  • Unplug all accessories from your Mac, including printers, drives, USB hubs, and other nonessential devices. You could have an issue with one or more of those devices or their cables.

And the last resort (if really nothing helps):

You basically need to troubleshoot the issue step by step. If you start with a new user account or even with a freshly installed macOS, it is important not to add everything at once again in order to identify the thing that causes these issues.

Something has gone wrong with the OS or an app or the user account, otherwise you would have similar issues in safe mode.

What is interesting is the fact that many users did have the issues you described with 11.0.1. Those issues should have been resolved with 11.1. Maybe, 11.1 has achieved the exact opposite in your case?!

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind help!

I have to be honest here and admit that I didnā€™t follow through the first two steps because it sounded like a tedious task. What I did was simply 1) Uninstall Lulu, which I installed about a week ago, and 2) Disable the login item for Keyboard Maestro, which I installed only yesterday (blasphemy, I knowšŸ˜†), and 3) removing all peripherals, which apparently didnā€™t help at all.

Now I have to face the inevitable reality of having to test all my login items one by one.If I indeed manage to find out the culprit(s), Iā€™ll definitely post an update in this thread.

I was dumbfounded by this as well. No idea whatā€™s actually happening.

Sounds like the good old issue with the T2 bridgeOS. Totally broke my Touch Bar for a while because bridgeOS was screwed up. Woohoo! :smiley:

All jokes aside, Id bet that your having the same issue that me and many other people had with the T2 chip causing kernel panics.

I do recall seeing some discussions about this issue. Thank you and Iā€™ll do some research on this and see what I can do.

Update:

• I disabled all the apps that start at login, but the symptoms still persists
  • I just noticed that in these crash logs, thereā€™s a line saying Bridge OS Version: <device not connected>, while in previous crash logs associated with other applications, this line displays a correct version number. I assume this means the issue does relate to T2 and bridgeOS.
  • I tried running Apple Diagnostics scanning for hardware malfunctions. While the results claim no errors were found, the computer failed to boot into Recovery Mode.
  • Iā€™m heading to Genius Bar today and will update in this thread if anything noteworthy happens.
3 Likes

For what itā€™s worth, my MBP started to throw kernel panics last spring. It was (kind of) random in that it would happen once or twice per day no matter what I was doing, but I could cause it to happen reliably by doing anything that was I/O intensive (cloning my boot drive, or running a TimeMachine backup would cause it frequently). In the end, Apple replaced the logic board and Iā€™ve had no problem with kernel panics since.

Thank you for sharing you experience!

From what I saw while searching online, most threads discuss symptoms similar to what you described. But in my case, the reboots happen consistently, every time itā€™s been 130s since boot, which practically renders my mbp unusable.

Iā€™m expecting Genius Bar to decide to replace my logic board as well. Itā€™s reassuring to hear that the issue has been resolved since you had it replaced, since I was worried itā€™d only be a temporary fix.

1 Like

Honestly, before you get to the stage of hardware service, Iā€™d clone the boot drive, wipe it, and install macOS from scratch and without transferring any of your old data or programs, just to see if that gets rid of the problem. If it does then youā€™re almost certainly dealing with a software issue.

Yeah, Genius Bar offered the same advice. Theyā€™ve just took in my mbp and told me they planned to run some detailed hardware diagnostics and reinstall macOS from scratch if no errors were found.

Guess I was overreacting a bit, shouldā€™ve thought of tring a clean reinstall at home.

1 Like

List of things we can corroborate from this articleā€¦
  • 2018 MacBook Pro :white_check_mark:
  • ā€œApple suggests that iMac Pro owners wipe and reload MacOS from scratchā€ :white_check_mark:
1 Like

Thanks for sharing the article, itā€™s a nice read. Hopefully Apple will take care of the issue because the list of solutions offered in the article are a lot of compromises.

According to the threads, the system crashes can be reduced if you donā€™t daisy-chain devices, donā€™t use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, turn off Power Nap, turn off Secure Boot, donā€™t unlock the device with Apple Watch, remove third-party kernel extensions, and turn off every power management option you can find. Thatā€™s quite a list.

Genius Bar did a clean macOS reinstall and fixed the issue. I explicitly asked if they determined the cause and they claimed it was not possible to do.

I have Time Machine backups but decide to set up from scratch instead just to be extra safe.

1 Like