MacBook Pro refuses to identify or charge iDevices

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) that sporadically refuses to charge my iOS devices.

iPhones and iPads charge sporadically when plugged in via USB to the MBP, with the charging indicator often going on and off every other seconds. What is confusing is that the iDevices charge just fine with other chargers and the ports on my MBP don’t seem to have anything wrong with them either as external hard drives and other devices work without any issues. Also, I do not face this issue all the time but abut 80-90% of the time.

I have experienced this issue with two iPhone 7s and an iPad Air. Any ideas on what might be wrong and how I may go about fixing it would be great!

It actually sounds like the cable you’re using to charge… Get a new cable or use another one and you should be good. I like the Amazon basics cables for inexpensive alternative.

I might also suggest blowing the I phone put with compressed air to clean out lint.

1 Like

Hi Ajay,

I’m having the same problem with a 2013, 15" Retna MBP, only maybe a little worse. I initially had your problem, now my MBP won’t recognize or data-connect to my iPhone.

Oddly, this only affects my iPhone (the sporadic connecting/charging only happened on my iPhone and now this disconnect only affects my iPhone – iPad still connects and charges).

Working to trouble-shoot this myself so far; so looking forward to hearing what happens in this thread.

1 Like

I have this problem periodically on my 2015 13 inch MBP. I find a PRAM reset sorts it out most of the time.

2 Likes

Thank you all for chiming in and @Meredith for that excellent suggestion. I reset the PRAM and iPhone is now being recognised and charging as expected. I’ll report back if the issue reappears.

@TimInHouston, do give it a try!

2 Likes

Thanks.

Tried resetting the SMC and PRAM. Didn’t work :frowning:

I have an appointment in an Apple Store tomorrow to check the iPhone’s physical port (spent some time yesterday on the phone with Apple’s phone support staff).

Since the iPad works and the phone does not, they think I may have a physical issue with the phone’s Lightning port.

At the Houston Galleria Apple Store now.

No joy.

They’re mostly sure it’s the port and want $329 to replace the phone (I always buy Apple Care but it ran out 3 months ago).

Manager said he could have applied a waiver and replaced the phone for free; but he wanted to keep things “fair.”

Since I have bought Apple Care for every Apple computer and device I’ve purchased over the years, “fair” is relative (to me!).

Exploring options through the wireless carrier and my credit card. Sigh!

Ugh, what a shame. I know the terms and conditions of any kind of warranty have to be date-constrained but it always irritates me beyond belief when something goes catastrophically wrong so soon after it runs out.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @TimInHouston. I’ve found emailing Tim Cook’s office to be super helpful whenever I’ve run into customer service issues with Apple. I know it sounds silly but it works!

Hope the issues gets resolved soon. Cheers!

1 Like