MacBook Pro with LG UltraFine 5K Display setup

I’ve ordered a 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro and LG UltraFine 5K Display. I haven an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock where I connect several external drives, etc. I’m looking for advice on how best to configure the setup. I’m also curious, where do people put their MacBook Pro when only using the external display?

Thanks!!

I’m using an M1 MBA, not a Pro, but I’ll chime in anyway.

Most of the time, the Air sits in a BookArc from Twelve South. It’s connected to an LG Ultrafine 24" 4K display.

I use the LG as a USB-C hub. My Carbon Copy Cloner drive is USB-C, so it connects to the monitor directly. My webcam and TimeMachine drive (both USB-A) connect to the LG via an Anker hub.

With that setup, I have a one-cable solution for connecting it all to the Air. It works really well.

Here’s what it looks like:

The Toshiba drive in the front is the TimeMachine drive. That’s usually at work rather than on the desk at the home office — it’s one of my off-site backups.

(I need to get rid of that lightning cable coiled in front, since my phone is now my only device that uses lightning, and I usually charge it wirelessly.)

8 Likes

Thank you for sharing your set-up. Curious: how instantly responsive (or not) is the monitor to waking up when you click a key or touch the track pad? My old iMac was near instant. I have an M1 Mac mini connected via HDMI to a Dell 4K monitor. Using a Logitech (solar) wireless keyboard and a magic trackpad. The monitor wake up is noticeably lagged vs the iMac. I get its not one unit, but is there anyway to lose the several seconds it takes (fully realize the world has bigger problems…not complaining…just asking)…

It’s not instantaneous. I’ve never timed it, but I’d hazard a guess that the delay is 3-5 seconds. Enough to notice, but not enough to be a bother.

1 Like

My 16 inch MBP is on order, the original one I ordered on announcement day got “lost” by UPS in shipping. I think the MBP display is too good to keep closed. I use a 3 monitor setup, occasionally adding my Ipad Pro as a 4th display. I love this setup.

5 Likes

That’s neat!

Tried that for the same reason only to realize that I still need it to eventually charge that keyboard/trackpad duo.

2 Likes

Ah, that’s right — thanks for the reminder!

Thanks! This is helpful – especially the visual! I’ll check out the BookArc.

1 Like

Good point on the MBP display!!

1 Like

They might have sent it to me, Steven. I ordered one last fall and they sent two. Two identical Macs, both referencing the same single-Mac order. I sent the second back, of course, unopened, but I’ll always wonder if that one rather than this one was was supposed to have been my Mac… :thinking:

1 Like