MacOS Accesibility/Dictation

I seem to have developed an RSI. I have a brace on my right hand, but I want to rest my hand for a few days before I start trying to type again. I turned on Voice Control in the Accessibility control panel, and I have been using that, even though the error rate is really high. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to type a space. Any help would be appreciated.

Another question. Since Nuance abandoned its dictation software for Mac, is there any Mac dictation software, and if so, is it any better than MacOS’s native dictation?

Marc - Sorry to hear about the RSI.

I’ve been using Voice Control and have found it to be fairly accurate. Especially in a quiet room, or when I have my AirPods in. But I was flummoxed that there wasn’t an easy answer to your issue about inserting a space. I thought “Press Spacebar Key” would work, but it does not. I wonder if it’s a bug in the system, since I believe it is recognizing “Spacebar” and not doing anything.

BUT, I figured out an easy workaround. Create your own custom command. When voice control is running, say “Open Voice Control Preferences.” the rest I did with keyboard and mouse:

Click “Commands…” and then click the + button. I then filled in:
When I say: Insert Space
While using: Any Application
Perform: Paste Text
And in the text field I typed a single space.

Now when I voice the command “Insert Space”, I get a space.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t help when I need to hit the spacebar for navigation purposes, but very helpful in editing text.

Thanks for pushing me to solve this!

Thanks. I figured out the same fix. Why wouldn’t there be a default space-key command?

I found that dictation without Voice Command works better than with it, although that’s pretty bad, too. I’m using a Plantronics headset that is identical to the one recommended by Apple. Voice Command seems to work (although badly) for dictation but after a while, it stops working properly, and I either have to restart it or reboot my iMac.