macOS Mojave public beta

Interesting Safari Mojave bugs for me, I’m instantly logged out of discourse whenever I try to post. Also having some trouble printing web pages to PDF. Mostly I am finding the beta fairly stable

Hmmm… :thinking: I haven’t experienced any issues regarding Safari.

I’d try a complete wipe of all cache files, a shutdown of Safari, and then a complete shutdown of the Mac, and then power up again :thinking:

Thanks, seems to have resolved my print issue. This message is testing my Discourse issue. This also seems to be working so thanks! Funny, were it not for the beta I would’ve tried that first. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder to one and all not all beta installs will be equal. I started out installing Mojave on my spare 2015 - 15” MBP. No issues whatsoever. Upgraded to beta 2, all remains well. I was so happy with the results I thought I’d give the beta a try on another one of my laptops - one I use more frequently - a 2017 MBP 15” (touchbar) - and I’m sorry to say I am going to have to restore from backup due to the many many issues on that computer.

First - battery life has been surprisingly bad. I can no longer use the computer for more than three hours on battery. Ouch! That’s not good. I’m testing this claim now, but it appears that my laptop is not allowing a charge from my USB-C powered hub any more. (I use the hub to connect a backup drive and an external monitor).

My computer is getting really hot, which is a bad sign. I’m also experiencing abrupt crashes. The beachball has returned on nearly every task, and typing is much much slower system wide. Overall, my computer is non-functional.

Ironically, I’ll just fall back to my 2015 MBP - which also has Mojave - as a backup until the 2017 can be either upgraded to beta 3 (when that comes out) or wiped clean.

Be careful out there, remember beta is just that - largely untested software. Your mileage can, and will, vary.

Yup, that’s the truth about betas, even though we’re used to Apple streamlining their OS to run as identical on every supported Mac.
But like you said, the next beta will hopefully be ridden of some (if not all) of the bugs you’re experiencing on one machine but not the other.

The next beta should - if Apple stays on their usual cycle - be released Monday evening next week at 10 am (7pm Copenhagen time) :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I am on the Dev beta. And have been since it was released.
I have it installed on my 2013 MacBook Air 13". So far I havn’t had a lot of problems. Only one of my apps didn’t work (OpenEmu).

Login and unlocking after sleep is a little slower than usual. Photos is sometimes acting up a little. Other than that it works pretty well.

I decided to try the dark mode, immediately didn’t like it, reverted to light mode. Then I got stubborn and enabled dark mode again to give it a fair shot. I have to admit it is growing on me now. Though it doesn’t look good with all desktop pictures.

Really like the desktop stacks feature, can’t wait to get it on my main Mac.
Favicons in Safari is also a nice little extra.

So, I’ve been using the Mojave beta since the first one was released, and… is it just me, or does it seem like the Mojave public beta kinda like the public iOS beta, is running pretty slick without any problems?

I really haven’t experienced anything really, other than a couple of slowdowns in the first public beta, but since updating to the latest one, I haven’t experienced anything.

Is it blind luck, or does anyone have the same experience?

Has anyone tried Skim or BibDesk?

And how is PDF handling in general? Is PDFKit fixed?

Agreed, Mohave is actually running smoother then the iOS Beta for me. I am digging Mohave, I love the dark desert and dark mode is a game changer for my eyes.

The only issue I notice is on start up, several notification boxes pop-up saying an extension needs approved in my Preferences > Security. The problem is I cannot find the app or extension in my Preferences. Not a big deal and I am loving the new OS.

1 Like

I hadn’t run into any issues with Mojave until the beta that dropped a few days ago. Now I get occasional messages on startup that an app such as TextExpander needs accessibility access, even though it’s already enabled in system preferences.

Also, I’ve found that the latest beta will connect to bluetooth audio devices, but won’t actually output audio to them.

But these are minor annoyances, not major issues. I’m (foolishly, I’m sure) running the beta on my primary machine, and I’ve encountered exactly zero issues that negatively impact my daily work.

1 Like

The Mojave beta is still running pretty solid on my MacBook Air. Right now the only thing that really bugs out is YouTube. Performance on that site is terrible. But I wouldn’t say it is smooth on my iMac running High Sierra either. Maybe Safari and YouTube aren’t getting along…

1 Like

@Free Have you tried reinstalling the extension in question? :thinking:

I couldn’t agree more - I ran the light mode for 5 minutes, switched to dark mode, and it’s been that way ever since :smiley:

@acavender Like I said at the start of this post, I’d try a reinstall of the extension/software - in this case, TextExpander - to see if that fixes the problem :smiley:

I’m running betas on both my primary Mac as well as my primary iPhone and like you, I haven’t really experienced any no-go issues.

I have to wait for 5-10 seconds, on my iPhone, when I open one of my primary photo apps - ProCamera - but other than that I haven’t really had any problems, and certainly not on Mojave :muscle:t2:

1 Like

I have yet to be able to log in. Tried my standard account as well as my admin account. Just got it to go through in safe mode. It’s probably either one of my menu bar apps or one of the company related antivirus apps. I’ll try to report back if I find the specific cause.

Edit: seems the problem was the Cylance launch daemon. If you’re not in an enterprise situation it shouldn’t be an issue.

@Tonny_Bukdahl I had the same issue with authorizations. Keyboard Maestro was the app that had the most trouble getting the security authorization.

I ended up removing the app and extension from the Settings > Security > Accessibility listing and adding them back into the list manually.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

There are lots of reports in the Alfred forum with similar Accessibility related issues.

1 Like

Alfred seems to be fixed with latest Alfred beta: https://www.alfredforum.com/topic/11711-alfred-37-beta-for-mojave-beta-4/

1 Like

Anyone else had any issues with Textexpander? Running 6.26 and it isn’t expanding snippets. Have checked all the usual things including privacy etc

I just installed Mojave on an external SSD to play with it. I LOVE dark mode! My eyes feel so much better.
Safari seems nice and peppy too.

Has anyone run MATLAB 2017b? Any issues? EEGLAB?

Anyone able to answer these questions now that we’re a month and a bit closer to release ?

Not sure if this is a Mojave issue or something else…

Installed on my mid 2012 MBP. Last couple of days it’s been running super slow…20 minutes to boot up, etc.

Tonight I was using PDFPen 8 to fill out some paperwork for my wife. It should have taken 15 minutes…I was at it for over four hours.

I kept getting the spinning wheel of death with PDFPen, and often times I key stroked to Force Quit and nothing would happen…it hung for 45 minutes at one point!

So I would push and hold the power button, and let it restart…this happened a few times until I got the circle and slash.

Now the paperwork is stuck, and even though I kept the PDF I was working on on the Desktop, it doesn’t show up when I look for it in Files.

And, when I try to reinstall the OS from the recovery server, I get an error message that the recovery server can’t be reached.

So maybe tomorrow I can restore from a Time Machine back up that’s a month old, because we just moved 2500 miles, and by golly, the Time Capsule just won’t do a backup on the new WiFi we have for some reason.

Either way, the four hours I put into the paperwork was a waste, and I don’t know if this all started from some quirky glitch in Mojave (or why things have been running so slow lately) and I don’t know why the recovery server can be reached…

Other than that, it’s been a great public beta for me :roll_eyes: