macOS "system software" blocked from loading

Every time I boot my machine, I get this dialog box telling me that some software could not be loaded and it directs me to the “Privacy & Security” section of System Settings.

Here I have a long list of what I suspect are printer drivers - 11 from HP and 1 from Epson. All listed as “Legacy Developer”. I have the option to approve these, but as I don’t have any equipment from either HP or Epson, I’d rather like to get rid of these altogether.

I can’t really find where this software is installed and how it loads. Any pointers on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

(Edit: I’m on Sonoma 14.3.1)

Can you see if these are printer drivers? Perhaps there is a setting in “Printers & Scanners”

1 Like

Get rid of everything “HP” and “Epson” from your Applications, Applications/Utilities, and ~/Library folders. Shutdown and restart. Check Activity Monitor to make sure that nothing “HP” or “Epson” is still running. If anything is left, you’ll have to track it down.

1 Like

I zapped the /Library/Printers/hp/* and /Library/Printers/EPSON/* folders, which did nothing (other than remove the files, naturally).

Then I remembered the “System Settings / General / Login Items” section, where I found a long list of old stuff present in the “Allow in the Background” section. From here, I was directed back to /Library/Extensions/ where I found the offending files. Most of them 10+ years old. Removing those DID solve the problem.

I also re-vistied /Library/LaunchAgents and /Library/LaunchDaemons/ and found a lot of old cruft that I removed too.

The following startup was SO MUCH faster :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

4 Likes

Wow! Your persistence paid off!

1 Like

Thanks!

Yeah, it’s always a bit scary to run “sudo rm -rf” type of commands. I’ve not had much business using Terminal for years, but sometimes, that’s the only way.