MacSparky Has Released the Productivity Field Guide

MacSparky has released his new Productivity Field Guide to the public today. See my blog post, Discover the Life-Changing Productivity System That Will Transform Your Work and Personal Life — MacSparky’s Productivity Field Guide.

This is not your typical collection of productivity hacks and tips. I’ve been following his system for the last few years and can say it is a comprehensive, unique, practical, customizable and transformative approach that has made me not only more productive at my work, but has also helped me to become a better husband, parent, friend, and person.

Anyone else like to comment?

9 Likes

It looks good. Thanks for your review!

Regarding the pro version, does anyone know: does this line —

All webinars are recorded, edited, and later added to the course.

— mean that webinars will be added to the standard version of the course? Or probably just to the pro version, right? I would assume the latter, but the language used here is a little vague so I was not sure.

That’s just in the plus version @dgbeecher. That’s the big add really. We’ve got 13 webinars on the calendar already. I plan to deliver. :wink:

5 Likes

Reading the outline and watching the sample video, it sounds like it describes to some degree the system I’ve built for myself over the years reading and listening to productivity podcasts and books. The biggest being Cal Newport’s books and podcasts, but also tips I’ve gotten from MPU and Focused. Not sure how much value I’d get out of it if I’m correct about this system. For those who don’t already have a system like this, I would definitely recommend it!

Hmmm I might be tempted. One of my New Year’s resolutions was to finally commit to proper weekly reviews as the bare minimum change I needed in my project management. It’s week 2 of 2024 and no weekly review has happened yet so I’m off to a fine start :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

The Productivity Field Guide provides an approach and templates for weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews. You’re free to pick and choose what works for you and what doesn’t.

To me, however, MacSparky’s most significant contribution in the PFG is that it’s a productivity system that goes way beyond what happens at work, and is about becoming a better person in all the areas of life. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

After getting the Pro version of the Obsidian Field Guide I would always buy the pro version of any future Field Guides. The value of the added webinars (and the different perspectives) is just so hi. @MacSparky’s Field Guides are as good or betters as courses that I have taken which are 5-10x the cost. Looking forward to digging into this.

3 Likes

I wish there was a PDF-only version. I prefer to read my content.

Your point about the cost vs. value of the Field Guides is well taken. I’ve always been amazed at the amount of value MacSprarky provides for the cost compared to other productivity course providers. I’m sure some of his creator friends tell him he’s way underpricing his courses. My hunch is he wants to make it affordable for people.

1 Like

Marcin,

There is a PDF and ePub book included in the course. Also, there are lesson summaries below each video that you can read.

You might want to read the book, read the summaries, and selectively watch videos that you have a particular interest in. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I joined the course! Can’t comment much yet about the content (I’m only a few videos in), but so far it seems very well planned and the videos are nicely produced. I’m also looking forward to the webinars planned for the pro version.

My only wishes are:

• The ePub seems basically to be a container format for the PDF, such that the text does not flow freely, and it shows only one page at a time (ie, fixed font size, and no scrolling view). This makes it hard to read on my phone (which is where I do most of my reading). Furthermore, it opens properly only in Apple Books … when I try to open it in calibre (the best open source e-book manager), the pages get cut off, and when I try to open it in bookfusion (my favorite e-book reader), it throws errors. Any chance you can produce a more … uh … “normal” ePub version? (Sorry I don’t know more about ePub to describe better what I mean!)
  • I’d also love to be able to download an audio version of the course, so that I can add it to one of my audio apps (I use both Overcast and BookPlayer) and listen to it on the go. Right now I’m working on downloading the combined videos (thank you for making those available) and converting them to audio (using Permute) for upload to one of the aforementioned apps. That’ll work, but allowing for audio-only download would give people extra flexibility.

Thanks, @MacSparky, for this course and for all the great content over the years!

(P.S. Of course I had to include links to all my tools mentioned above, to make this a proper MPU post!)

2 Likes

Good ideas @dgbeecher

• I just uploaded a “reflowable” version of the epub, which is what you are looking for. I’m sure the layout will get wonky as you change the font size, but it does scratch the itch.

• I need to think about the audio files. I can see how that would make sense with this guide, but I’d hate for a person’s first experience to be the audio only files. I can make my best case when you are looking at me.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reflowable version :slight_smile:

And no pressure on the audio files! I will keep in mind your vision for the guide. It would take me longer to take it in all as video, but perhaps that’s the better way to do it.

What exactly was covered in the webinars that isnt in the standard videos? Like are they question and answer etc or something else?

Am tempted to grab this and tossing up between the standard and the plus version (unfortunately money is a consideration as the USD is so bloody strong).

1 Like

Just started the Productivity Field Guide and am very excited for this one! I really appreciate @MacSparky 's deference to the bigger picture, “The Why” behind productivity (I need constant reminders).:compass:

Digression: I started watching it with closed-captions on and twice the captions mistook “Mac Sparky” as “Max Parkey” and now I think that should be David’s saxophone playing alter ego (a la Duke Silver from Parks and Rec). Just putting that out there…

7 Likes

IrvingPenn, I participated in the first webinar which was held today. It covered a lot of new ideas and perspectives, and the questions and comments of people working with this added a lot. David had a basic outline of what he wanted to cover, but there were lots of questions and answers along the way bringing perspectives I hadn’t thought about before.

I’ve been following this approach for 3 years now, but I found lots of value in today’s webinar. I’m making attendance at the following ones a priority.

If you’re seriously interested in following this approach to life and productivity, IMHO the Plus Edition is absolutely worth the additional cost. There’s a value to working through this material and the issues and questions it raises with other people who are doing the same.

3 Likes

My subtitles refer to @MacSparky as “Max Barkey”, which should be a “nickname” for his dog!

6 Likes

Awesome, appreciate the response - I also really enjoyed your blog post/review.

Looks like I’ll go with the plus version :slight_smile: who knows maybe the extra cost will act as an incentive to actually implement some of the stuff too haha.

1 Like

IrvingPenn, Thank you for the nice comment.

I don’t think you’ll regret getting the Plus version. David already has the schedule out for the first 6 webinars, one each week. The one yesterday should be posted to the course by the end of next week. When you get the Plus version, there is a section after the video listings in teachable titled “Plus Edition Content - Webinars.” This is where the videos will be posted.

Best wishes to you.

Unfortunately I am already stuck. Just a couple of videos in David mentions that before you go any further you need to figure out your 'Why", a question I’ve been wondering my whole life ha.

I’m joking, but only kind of.

3 Likes