MacSparky's New Home Office

I have the same Anker charger and it’s been solid. It even works with the Spigen Tough Armor case on the phone.

I’ve got that charger as well. The one thing I don’t like with the iPhone XS is that the camera bump comes down below the top of the charger, so it won’t quite sit flat in there. It charges fine, but if you want to use it while it’s on the charger it wobbles a bit. If you use a case that matches the camera bump, it wouldn’t be an issue, and I’m guessing the XS Max and XR would be tall enough that they would clear the top of the stand. For my naked XS I like this charger:

Because it’s round, the back is low enough that it will clear the camera bump so the phone sits without wobbling.

2 Likes

I have the same, albeit with a post-it note over the branding.

1 Like

Yup. No problem with the Max.

I would have paid more for a version without branding.

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check that one out!

Noticed from your recent Twitter post re MacSparky Studio you still use a Fujitsu ScanSnap iX1500 scanner. MPU has been eerily silent on what ScanSnap users can do to continue using their trusty scanners once Apple abandons 32-bit programs–especially since Fujitsu has no interest in supporting [soon to be former] loyal customers. Plus licensing issues for existing ScanSnap owners. Would love an in-depth discussion of options for Fujitsu owners other than throwing away a perfectly good scanner and buying another customer-friendly brand. For the record, I have a S1500M that has been trouble free for six years and still going strong.

5 Likes

I’m wondering the same thing as I’d love to purchase a scanner but held off because of it.

@MacSparky - Why do you put a T5 in an enclosure? I have one directly to my Mac and works fine, will this give more thruput or something?

" I’ve also got a [Samsung T5 SSD] in a [very fast OWC enclosure attached directly to the back of my iMac. Figuring out where to put this extra fast storage was not easy and the solution is my shame."

Are you referring to the latest podcast episode (494)? If I’m not mistaken, it’s a Samsung 860 EVO internal SSD, which needs the SATA enclosure to connect, not a T5.

Their maximum transfer speeds aren’t meaningfully different, though—both plenty fast (above 500 MB/s).

1 Like

I listened to the latest episode 494 this morning and loved the home office ideas. MPU has cost me a lot of cash over the years, but having seen David’s set up earlier, I ventured into a new set up that blows well past prior cash outlays. But Austin Kleon is also to blame. So, David, Austin, and Stephen, thank you for the set ideas that has me loving my new space: a digital desk and an analog desk.

10 Likes

What a fabulous space. I would LOVE to have a separate little building for my space/work/thinking/solitude for pondering and planning. Is there an updated look?

For internal SSDs you just need an esata Adapter like this one

Plugable USB 3.1 Gen 2 (zweite Generation) USB-C nach SATA Adapterkabel https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01JK8KJSA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cMoADb301Y1NA

Enclosures often do not come with USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, so you do not get full speed.

1 Like

I found something to top it off! A different color background to show the empty space. This company laser cuts your custom outlines !

How is the setup looking these days @MacSparky?