MacStories launches new paid membership programs/Discord server/exclusive content

I don’t get everyone being upset. The experience of everything is staying the same.

Macstories is still generating the same ad-supported content. No change in cost.

Club Macstories is still generating the same content but with a better backend. No change in cost.

The other two tiers are new content series they’ve decided to paywall. It’s their right to do that. John’s Mac specific series and Federico’s Automation series are on top of their usual content and honestly much longer and in-depth than just about anything I’ve seen in the weekly issue or monthly log. And the Appstories+ thing is something most Relay adjacent podcasts have been doing for the past year.

I get the subscription fatigue but this announcement doesn’t seem to change anything about the current MacStories experience, just adds to it if you want to pay for it.

4 Likes

I generally agree, make money if you want to make money.

This is a question for anyone I guess, is there any concern of losing the availability of the people we like to read? Like, if the voices we like to listen to continue to offer more and more exclusive or “in depth” content, is there a point in which they can’t keep up? Obviously, the next step is to hire more people, which moves people into more editorial roles (which already is happening right?)

I think it’s interesting to watch a company grow in this way in real time.

I think that’s always the danger. The other very useful question is one of whether a place is a trusted outlet for facts, or if they’re a trusted outlet for opinion.

For example, if I follow somebody like Federico because I think he has good insights on the news about Apple, and I enjoy his particular view, that desire to continue following could go away if Federico gradually moves “up and out” to where he’s supervising a team rather than producing his own content.

Whereas a newspaper like the New York Times probably doesn’t change that much as far as coverage depending on whether the guy who used to be a Wall Street reporter now supervises a team of people that covers Wall Street.

Yup. And growth is always the hardest part for any company. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like the fact vs opinion clarity. Thanks for offering that insight.

It actually makes me think of the “Asian Efficiency” podcast I just unsubscribed to. It wasn’t bad, but I hadn’t listened in a long time. I guess I just preferred when Mike was the host and was happy when he came on Focused awhile back.

2 Likes

This is my one frustration with MacStories in the past year plus. Increasingly it feels like Federico does a bigger story once every couple months but most of the day to day has been delegated to others on the site which at this point is almost solely John.

2 Likes

This is interesting: plug-ins for pay.

2 Likes

They’ve had shortcuts for Club members before. The most famous example I can think of is his Music Bot which had a more advanced pro version for subscribers. Don’t see how an obsidian plug-in is any different.

Yep. More power to them.

Adding my opinion. I think the move made by MacStories is just like ‘old times’.

How a newspaper company publish exclusive content in a form of magazine. It published by the same company, with extra content, very likely filled with ads too. It’s the customers’ choice to upgrade their newspaper subscription with the bi-weekly magazine, keep their existing tier, or occasionally buy the magazine from news stall when the headline seems interesting.

About the ads, reminds me to interesting conversation I had with NYTimes Customer Service.

When I subscribed to their $1/mo special offer subscription. I noticed that the NYTimes web and apps still filled with ads and thought: “huh? I paid, but they still show me advertisements?!”.

As an app developer, I try to have understandings: “hmm, maybe there’s bug in their site? where paid user supposedly not shown ads?”. Then I emailed Customer Service about my concern to ads as paid user, and asking whether it’s a bug.

Noticing that my email has a bit of technical theme, the CS inform me that he will ask the product & engineering team first. Some days later, they inform me it is intended that paid user still shown ads. They sell the exclusive contents, not the removal of ads.

My point of the short story, is to try expressing the concern with MacStories team. Maybe try to contact (twitter/email) Federico as the main person and also as our friend. Apart of expressing personal concern, we also show that we care about MacStories and their business direction.

The information from CS also enlightened me, I thought that information in the internet should be free, or cheaper than the physical form. But apart from their daily issue, the subscription also give access to the archive of past issues too. Where in the ‘old times’, we pay only for the current issue. About ownership of the issues, I can manage to keep the archive of NYTimes while I still got the access. I can also save Club MacStories weekly.

1 Like

the physical newspaper I buy (and pay for) also contains ads…

nothing new from their point of view…

1 Like

I grabbed one of the plugins - “Export Markdown with Embeds” - and got rid of it after a few minutes. It ignores two of the three methods for transcluding text from one note into another in Obsidian: inserting text from a specific header in another note, and inserting text from a specific block in another note. So the plugin merely grabs the entire text of the embedded note, instead fo the embedded header or block, which is not useful at all.

3 Likes

If I got your point correctly, then, yes it’s nothing new. Just changing the form of the media.

is calling it MacStories still a misnomer? the reason I canceled my sub long ago was because it was too focused on iOS. Has this changed?

Sorry, I don’t care. Not at all.

The last episiode of MacStories I listened to was very (very!) meta. They talked about themselves. How much effort that had put in whatever they delivered. That it wasn’t easy. That MacStories put so much effort in everything they do. Well, you get the point. No content. At least, nothing useful. Unless you’re ihterested in MacStories. And how much effort Frederico c.s. put into that.

And I’m not exaggerating. They really were only talking about themselves and their (enormously hard) work. A full episode. Or at least a very significant part of that episode.

The last time I heard something useful in Appstories must have been a long, long tine ago. Don’t know about MacStories. As I stopped reading that site.

4 Likes

I was talking about the website. I scrolled back a month and only saw one mention of a mac app and it was an ad. Are the mac writeups behind the paywall?

There is some occasional coverage of macOS stuff on the site, but Federico’s focus is still iOS.

John Voorhees has launched a new Mac-specific column with Club MacStories. That’s the paywalled content you saw.

After new Apple product releases, I skip through the usual suspects of podcasts like AppStories or even Test Drivers to find something worthwhile and informative. The latter surprised me as it contained a (short) interview with two guests from Apple’s product management and marketing teams. While not going into depth it still was a welcomed addition. :ok_hand:

I also was skipping through the recent AppStories episode 242 when I heard Federico Viticci referring to commentators on “reddit” addressing reviewers (of course other ones) in regards to the topic of the tech-media and podcaster echo-chamber, which we also discussed before on here by coincidence. :wink:

Since I’m sure it will find its way. An open letter:

Dear Federico Viticci,

you missed the point. People that criticize the echo chamber and groupthink are of course not longing for the ramblings of someone entirely uninformed as you put it. Your assumption of tech competency is black and white, while that is not the case for those doing “real work” in the “real world”. It shows at least 50 shades of space gray. :wink:
I’m sure that the commentators on “reddit” didn’t specifically request that your verbose 22 pages i(Pad)OS review should be replaced with a more concise one written by an engineer. It’s fine.

The criticism was entirely misinterpreted. It was not about those day one hardware/software reviews like yours. The main point of the discussion always has been that getting insights into how tech-enthusiastic experts outside of tech-media use the available technologies in their field carries more value than hearing for the hundredth time how someone writes blog posts or records a podcast. It would allow everyone to expand their perspective and maybe find interesting new workflows.
The always well-received episodes with interviews of non-podcasters/-tech-media on MPU are a prime example that there is demand for this content.

Not to mention that your overly generalized remark regarding the quality doesn’t hold up. By your description, nobody other than the “infallible” tech-media-bubble is even able to review anything at all. You can read countless well-written and -tech-educated posts by laymen in forums like this one, (actually) on reddit or on personal blogs. Most of the authors aren’t “real reviewers”, whatever that might entice. And to be honest, since writing is essential in almost every knowledge-work jobby-job these days, those hobbyist posters do that god damn well. Some even in an excelling way.

I’m not going to explain why drawing the comparison of you reviewing an airplane cockpit isn’t even applicable in the slightest in this situation. :wink:
Other than with airplanes, we trust hundreds of millions of users to, well, use those devices daily in both, professional and private settings. As a consequence, those users gather decades of individual experience and obtain interesting opinions outside of the Apple groupthink canon.

It can be tough to attempt to do something as a profession that is essentially the hobby of millions. Yet, I do not think that belittling or even ridiculing those users with perfectly valid opinions—independent of their tech-savviness—is the right approach. Keep in mind a small subset of those are also your potential listeners and readers.

I agree, they maybe wouldn’t get every little detail right if they were to write up a long-winded review. Yet, that is also by far not the case for the majority of podcasters. Especially not in comparison to many developers, which are far deeper in the trenches than a podcaster or tech-news writer ever will be. And that is okay.

However, as a journalist—no matter if self-taught or not—you could seize the opportunity and be the facilitator of those interviews. Instead of just using pleaded authority why not guide or maybe even translate if those “uninformed” do such a painful job, as you described, which I highly doubt.

What was uttered in that particular episode did not have the right tone.

Un abbraccio :v:

Some non-groupthink content ideas:

• Interview a doctor that is excited about the new iPad mini specifically, and actually carries it around in their lab coat pocket.
  • Find a doctor that uses that USB-C ultra-sound device mentioned in the keynote.
  • Chat with a hobby pilot about how the iPad changed aeronautical navigation and what the limitations are when using it in the small cockpit.
  • Find sailors that use iPads for navigation and find out how it is used in the harsh surroundings and what the workarounds are for the lack of connection and what software is used.
  • Talk to a realtor that uses the iPad (mini) to get the paperwork done and what software limitations or obstacles in user acceptance there are.
  • Or a shopkeeper or restaurant owner that uses it as a PoS system. What are the limitations? Why was the iPad mini chosen specifically? How do they manage a small fleet of devices if used by waiters to take orders. Is everything set up manually or via MDM?
  • Try to interview someone working for IKEA about their AR previews and what the Lidar scanner allows them to do and what their hopes for the future of that technology are.
11 Likes

Speaking of the right tone…

"I give you a lot of credit for going from one, incredibly long, detailed review, that you worked on for months, straight into a hardware review. Cause hardware reviews aren’t super easy in and of themselves. For a lot of reasons. And to pick that up, right after finishing and publishing the iOS and iPadOS review, which included not just the review itself, but all the stuff that goes on around that, with the Club and other things, is a lot. "

Wow! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I didn’t make this up. Although it almost sounds like satire. But this is actually John Voorhees talking about and to Frederico. Coming from the above mentioned episode 242 of AppStories.

3 Likes

Nice writeup! I agree that many of those perspectives would be interesting, and in that episode I also didn’t think he presented the best defense of why tech journalism is valuable.

There’s a podcast called iPad Pros that has on some guests with unusual jobs. To Federico’s point, I don’t know how good those episodes would be without the host’s structuring and guidance of the conversation, and the format is of course not long-form text—but they can be insightful.

3 Likes

I was shocked when I heard this too and wrote a blog post about it soon after, which has now been linked to by other people:

You have pretty much said what I wanted to say and I am in agreement.

4 Likes